Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingfish(Jack) action on video

Awesome video!!

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Hi Arno...

Great video - looks like a blast. Great going. I noticed something which I would appreciate confirmation/correction on. When you cast in front of the shoal, it appears as though only 1 fish broke away onto the fly. However, when you cast to the side of the shoal, you had a few fish competing for the fly. Please can you share exactly what was the feeding behaviour.

Many thanks
    Sudesh

Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh Pursad View Post
    Hi Arno...

Great video - looks like a blast. Great going. I noticed something which I would appreciate confirmation/correction on. When you cast in front of the shoal, it appears as though only 1 fish broke away onto the fly. However, when you cast to the side of the shoal, you had a few fish competing for the fly. Please can you share exactly what was the feeding behaviour.

Many thanks
    Sudesh
    I think due to the dirty water it was a case of which ever fish saw the fly, went for the fly.

We had numerous cases where the fish would take the fly, not hook-up and another would eat straight away. Using circle hooks probably contributed, as the Jacks sometimes did not turn straight away to set the hook in the scissors, which probably explained the fly pulling out, but then there was always another fish ready there to attack the fly straight away.

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Thanks Arno...

I would expect competition to be great in a pack like that. Have experienced the "lead fish" feeding behaviour before, so was very curious about your lot. My experience with Circle hooks is not great. First kingie was hooked down the throat, second kingie was hooked on the upper jaw inside the mouth; third kingie was hooked in the scissor. All fish in the 1.5kg-2.5kg range

Thanks for clarifying.
    Sudesh

Hi Sudesh, in my experience there are circle hooks and then there are circle hooks, my best bet is to stay far away from any offset circles and to use in-line circle and hooks rated as 'tournament safe'. And then there is also the saying in my industry that the worst instrument can still safely do the job in the hands of someone with the experience and knowhow!

It is always terrible to hook a fish deep or in the gills and having to deal with that. My opinion is that is not always fatal for the fish, but I try to best avoid it if posible and use circle hooks if the species allow for that.

This kingie I hooked deep with a J-hook, it bled like the proverbial pig, but was strong on release. I hope it survived...

epic stuff Arno..thanks for sharing....wait with baited(excuse the pun)breath for the dorado clip
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12