Thread: kob on fly

Default kob on fly

Does anyone know what flies work to target big kob (5kgs) up.We get small ones on clousers,ineed a flie that moves alot of water any ideas.
    thanks

Hey BUllie

When you fish for kob on CLousers(sorry im still a rookie), Do you fish a sinking or an interline??

Drift in the current with a slow retrieve?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullie View Post
    Does anyone know what flies work to target big kob (5kgs) up.We get small ones on clousers,ineed a flie that moves alot of water any ideas.
    thanks

Blog Entries

Bulky, weighted brush flies work a treat. Use the same colours as your clousers.

Bullie, Eastern Cape ?

Then I am assuming you're fishing Zwartkops, Gamtoos, Sondags, etc ?

The size of the cob you run into is (in my opinion) less related to where, when and how deep you fish than the fly you fish.

What I found to be very successful was to on the push of the tide, target the schools of Mullet on the border of the ertjie water (colour line between blue water and sandier water) This is typically where you also pick up your Juvenile Leeries in this time of year, but whereas for Leeries, you typically want to start stripping as soon as the fly hits the water, what you want to do is to fish a DI7 type sink tip line, present your fly upcurrent of where you expect your fish to be over the ertjie water into the blue water, then simply let it sink right to the bottom, make sure you are fishing a DI7 and a weighted fly with a properly slim profile to make sure it sinks like a stone. Then walk with the pushing tide untill you feel your fly starting to bounce on the bottom of the riverbed (quite hard when you're fishing holes of +6M and the push in the EC is usually quite strong)

As soon as you feel the fly bounce, then do slow(ish) 1'-2' strip retrieves with a second pause in between strips, don't be rushed, cobbies don't chase like Leeries do. If you can get your fly down, you will get to the cob and also the larger cob.

Another tactic is to fish during the dark into the really deep holes (deeper than 6M) again on a DI7 line with a big profile type fly (like a semper) but for this you mostly need to be on a boat, just watch out, you may run into something HUGE (+40kgs, it happens at least a few times every season in the EC)

I don't really think it's a function of fly selection to get them, you must simply get down deep, all my cob in the EC was caught on stock standard Olive over White Clousers.

Good luck.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.