Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some more Tenkara

1. Default Some more Tenkara

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

2. Default

Also found this pertinent little piece of text that I thought was just brilliant!

"... you reach a point of diminishing returns when size is the issue. This was all about how, and not how much. Still, how many sub-5-pound fish are there to be caught this way? Many."
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

3. Default

Mario Geldenhuys

Good clean fun that (Ma jissie die ou is bietjie van 'n screamer)
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

and now he can go home cause the rest of the stream is buggered with him running in it like a lunatic....... sorry not my cup of tea......

6. Default

Running in the stream ruining it??? Are you serious??
    Mario Geldenhuys

you telling me that running through the stream like that is not going to put the fishing down in that section of water?

I guess not.....

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by river_runs_through_it View Post
    you telling me that running through the stream like that is not going to put the fishing down in that section of water?
    Ah, the numbers game ....

I could add that it's NZ ... 1 good fish every couple of kilometers ....
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by river_runs_through_it View Post
    Assuming that there are other fish to put down. In New Zealand, the trout are mostly "lake fed", and come up into the rivers at certain times. They find a lie, and tend to inhabit that piece of water for some time. The next decent fish would be likely to be a few hundred meters away, so it's unlikely that a run through the water would scare a fish so far away. In any case, a 7 pound trout on any river rod would still require a little bit of mobility from the angler. They normally fish with 4 and 5 wt's, and even then, the angler has to follow the fish. Let him run with too much line and the fish will probably be lost. If there were more fish to spook in that area, the running trout is likely to spook them anyway, just as much as the fly fisherman bouncing through the water. I certainly wouldn't mind spooking a section of river for a 7 pounder anyway. It's a trout of a lifetime, and there are certainly not many rivers on Earth that can routinely produce such fish. I can assure you, with a 7 pounder on the end of a fly rod, the last thing on your mind will be about "spooking the pond"
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast