Thread: Elgro in july

Smile Elgro in july

Hi there,

i am going to the elgro rivere lodge area this june july holidays and although i have been there twice before i havnt had a take from a fish at all. i am hoping for a change of events this year round and i am aware that it isnt the best time for smallmouths, i am also keen to give the largies a LOT of attention however i dont know the first thing about them nore about what flies to tie the only fly i have tried to tie for them is a zonker attached below please any advice on this. so please could some guys show me what to flies to tie for around this area at this time, what to look for in terms of where to fish for largies (and smallies) , what my leader set up should be and what equipment to use. i have a TFO professional 10 ft 6 wt. also could anybody that has been fishing around this area or is going to please fill me in on the results.20120606_112132.jpg

Nice fly!

Two things, 1) I would move the weed guard back slightly to between eye and bead, sommer melt a piece of mono on to it and 2) sharpen that hook point asap.

Hi Dylan,
    Hopefully you will be on an ark or you may battle and break your shins?
    Be sure to take some dry flies with. #12 Mayflies - Blue winged dunn (Adams should do the trick aswell) and #10 caddis moth immitations. They are plentiful this time of year but you may have to wait for some activity to start and generally begins in the early afternoon. It also depends on cloud cover and conditions. Sus it out and find the fish holding pools (spacifically for smallies but may be some largies around). But also not forgetting the black foam beatle - Have it handy
    As for your fly, not bad but would personally put some more red in the fly. You cant go wrong with black wooly buggers and other forms of buggers like the olive crystal. Chartreuse clouslers are also very sucessful. Another good fly to have, I swear by, is the peacock hearl. The silver chrismas tree fly is also a must have.
    Look for the fish in the deep long runs and maybe anchor the ark and wait for a rise. Fish where you would find largie food and be stealthy is the best advice I could give.

Good luck
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

thanks a lot for the info.
    we will be on the arks for sure. i was also wondering if you could post the pictures of the flies you mensioned it would be a great help.Thanks

This page should keep you busy. The members who knows Elgro well might even give you some pointers regarding where to fish - You can then easily reference the places as they are named.

Check here for Elgro

This time of year I prefer fishing higher up - check on the attachment or link where the owner's house is - that is my favourite spot in winter and late autumn.

Hey Dylan,
    Here are 3 pics of flies I use (replicas)....and yes, that is a half chicken . The jersey herd is the peacock hearl fly I mentioned
    Check out this also:Crystal Bugger.JPGHalf chicken.JPGJersey Herd.JPG
    http://www.flyfishingsouthafrica.com...yellowfish.php
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883