Thread: The Wavegartz

Default The Wavegartz

This fly was inspired by Paul Weingartz, a man that showed me there are no limits and to keep on trying. Not that I knew him personally, but the photos and accounts of GTs caught off our own coastline will forever keep me going back to the surf to try do the same.

This fly is my attempt at imitating a juvenile Wave Garrick which are found in abundance along our coastline in Kzn. I am sure GT's love them!!!

Recipe:

Hook: Debarbed 4/0 to your preference
    Thread: Clear mono or 6/0 colour to match fly
    Tail: Mackerel & White SF Blend
    Body: White SF Blend with Bleeding Red SF Blend for the bleeding gill effect
    Flash: Pearl Flashbou can be added to emphasize a lateral line
    Eyes: 10mm Frantic Eyes

Step 1:
    Lay a solid thread foundation just in front of the bend and coat with head cement, leave the thread in line with the hook point for the next step.

SBS 004.jpg

Step 2:

Tie in a sparse bundle of Mackerel SF Blend about 4 times the length of the hook shank on top of the hook.

SBS 007.jpg

Step 3:

Tie in a bundle of White SF Blend about 1 ¾ the length of the Mackerel bundle, but tie the bundle in the middle allowing you an equal amount to fold back over itself. Make sure you spread the fibers around the shank. After tying the bundle coat with head cement.

SBS 008.jpg

Step 4:

Pull the fibers facing the hook eye back or use a BIC pen with the refill removed to assist, spread the fibers around the shank again. Tie your tread in front of the fibers
    SBS 009.jpg

Step 5:

Repeat step 3 & 4 again or more depending on the length of the shank, but this time you tie around ¼ of fibers facing the back and the other ¾ facing the hook eye and then folding back. You want to leave about 8mm of the shank then go to the next step.

SBS 012.jpgSBS 013.jpg

Step 6:

Take a sparse bundle of Bleeding Red SF Blend around 10cm in length and tie it in the same as in step 5.

SBS 014.jpg

Step 7:

Repeat Step 3 & 4 if you have too muck space left on the shank.

SBS 015.jpg

Step 8:

You should now be left with about 4mm of shank. Prepare 3 bundles of SF blend in the ratios as follows; ½ White for the bottom, ¼ White & ¼ Mackerel for the top. Start by tying in the bottom bundle same as previously but allow you thread to reach the hook eye and not folding it back.

SBS 016.jpg

The top section is a combination of the white and Mackerel fibers; you can combine them before tying but try minimizing then fibers from mixing too much. You want the Mackerel fibres to end up at the top when you fold back so make sure they are at the bottom at this stage. Coat with head cement!

SBS 017.jpg

Once all your fibers are in place you can fold them back and start tying a head in front, pushing the fibers back. Whip finish and coat with superglue and head cement.

SBS 020.jpg

Step 9:

You should have a fairly good looking fly by now J but to make it complete add some frantic eyes and three roundish bars evenly spaced around the middle of the fly with permanent markers to complete the Wavegartz! DONE!

SBS 023.jpgSBS 024.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy! Oh yes forgot to mention, don't laugh at my ghetto vice! It works
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 08-06-12 at 10:32 PM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

That's a beautiful fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks MC!

Now just to see if it works
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Well done Konrad, you are setting the bar high!

This whole idea in honour of Paul is tremendous, welldone HolyGT.

And yes, this fly is a stunner...

Welldone!

It is so cool to see some SBS's again...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)