Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sterkies shame

Default Sterkies shame

Is it not funny how many fly fishermen shun the "papgooiers" yet to my disgust I see stywe lyne with an article about the decline of yellows in Sterkies.Mostly due to the netting of fish by locals,but there is a photo of the "wildfly" guys standing in the spawning area casting to spawning fish in knee deep water.
    It however always seems that guys have an answer to suite them when it comes to fishing these areas.
    The fish only spawn in the shallower water and im fishing from a deeper position
    Im far away from the spawning area(yet you can cast less than half a line there)
    This is not a spawning bed,its too silty,they just congregate here
    The locals pull out nets full a day,I release all my fish
    Who the F#$k are you
    Surely guys can catch the fish from the bank.Its gonna cost a bit more stealth and maybe casting ability,but geez,is that too much to ask.
    Some feedback from guys who catch there very often?
    My rant for the day

agreed! i met up with a few groups of papgooier on sterkies and surprise surprise they did'nt keep a yellow but took bass and carp , they had a keep net full of carp and had a few smallish dead bass that their lighties caught . and when we drove across to the quarry to watch the fish from that cliff there , we saw a group of fly fishermen harrasing the spawning fish in the shallows

Is the quarry not declared a no fish zone?? Or was that just hearsay?
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

I think its just hearsay because i've seen quite a few guys fishing in there

Why I asked was because of this thread that was posted a few months back!
    Core fly! Apologies for boming the thread with questions!

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...132-Landlocked

If it is indeed so then the green police seems to be slipping!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

thanks for the info!

The fact that there are now regular bass comps there is a far bigger concern than a few muppets fishing the spawning beds...
    Check your knots!

Every bit helps though,and with the pressure on that dam how long is it before humans (and Bass)take their toll on the yellows.
    There are signs all over the entrance at the quarry for no-fishing,yet the majority of shore based guys flood that area.And it is no better if guys arrive there by boat thinking they are immune to the no fishing policy.
    I personally think whenever we are fishing there and we come across something like guys walking the beds etc. we should take photos and post them here.
    I have friends that walk the banks in the water,towards active fish,but this too is unnecessary and i have told them.Usually the response is that the fish spook too easy if you try target them from the bank.Well,then use a bit more stealth.Take your time.plan your approach.Be patient.If they still spook,then thats fishing and you have a challenge.
    Has life become so "easy" that our comfort is more important than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    The fact that there are now regular bass comps there is a far bigger concern than a few muppets fishing the spawning beds...
    OT, but I don't see how having a bass comp at a dam that has bass will affect the Yellows ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Freestate nature is on top of it:
    In the latest FOSAF/YWG news letter
    . Leon Barkhuizen (barkhl@detea.fs.gov.za) is arranging a meeting in the Eastern Free State to discuss the ongoing problem of flyfishers disturbing and targeting spawning yellows in Sterkfontein Dam. This behaviour is not only illegal in the Free State but in all other provinces. This meeting was originally scheduled for late May/early June but according to Leon has now been postponed and will probably be held late June.

As for the bass comps, not much we can do about it but really wish they would remove the bass they catch........
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast