Thread: Port St Johns in Winter

Default Port St Johns in Winter

I'm going to be in Port St. Johns for a few day at the beginning of July. As I'm from the Overberg, I have no clue as to what I could target there in winter.

Elf? Leervis? Juvenile Kingies? River snapper?

Beach, Rocks or river?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Hi dtayl13 a mate of mine was there two weekends ago and they caught a +-6kg leerie! Was on R&S tackle but still the leeries are there. They fished in the river a km or so from the mouth. There are some lekker sandbanks and channels in the river and if you can get hold of a boat to fish them you might be in luck. And aparently they were hammerd by the small cobs aswell in the 1-2kg range. The river is also home to some awesum grunter as well. Let us know how it went! Would love to hear in terms of fly fishing how the place is fishing!
    They targeted the channels in the river just of the sandbanks and aparently one of the other chaps that was fishing got hold of a lovely cob in one of the deeper channels. I do belive the sardeens just passed there a while ago so you should be there on the right time.

Good luck!!
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

My word is good news. Second person who's told me I'mm gonna be there at the right time. I never seem to be on the coast at the right time of year. I will let you know how it goes. Apparently lots of elf there in the surf.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Hey boet hope you have better luck than we did. Just got back from Mazeppa and this snow inland caused some serious issues. 12/13 degree water temps in the rivers. The coldest ive seen in the T-kei.

There are some kob, leeries and lots of baby shad offshore. Around the river mouths waiting for the rivers to warm up. The 5m swell kept me at bay though.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Maybe try to get hold of John Costello. I don't know if he is still there, but he will be an ideal person to give you any advice you need about fly fishing Port St Johns. I remember that he has a guest house called Outspan.

Good luck and enjoy

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"