Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tigerfish piano leader

Default tigerfish piano leader

Hi there,
    i m going on a trip in the upper zambezi area next july(first time).
    I have a question that may sound a bit silly but when you get to change your fly during a fishing session can you remove it without cutting you piano wire ? or do you cut on the upper part of it an do again your rig?
    (sorry for my english)
    Thanks in advance for your answers

No, you'll have to either have a long section of wire and cut the fly off fly side, and if there is enough wire you can re-do your not'wrap..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

best way to do it is to add wire to all your flies. you cannot change them after they're tied on. you could use those clip swivels, but they are bulky. it is quick to put wire on the flies, so maybe pre-rig a bunch with small swivels, and tie them onto the flies you plan on using while on the water.
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Actually there is a method that was shown to me a very long time ago by Dan Byford.

It uses wire that can be unravelled and the fly replaced as needed for exactly as you say.
    Start the haywire twist off as normal and do at least 7 turns at about 45 degrees to each other.
    The normal haywire finishes off with 3 barrel wraps, but with this technique, this step is left out.
    The tag end is twisted to break off without the sharp burr and you are left with a twisted wire that can be unravelled as needed to change the fly.

Although it is a feasible solution, I would take the advice and rig up each fly on it's individual bite tippet, whatever that may be. The reason I say this is usually the bite tippet is shredded, kinked or mangled after each fish, and I can imagine what those tigers would be able to do.

Have all the prep work done beforehand and it saves pissing around on the water.

Good luck mate on those tigers!

when fishing for pike we gave up on piano wire and switched over to knotable steel traces with a jam knot for the wire-to-fly connection. This knot lets your "use up" very little wire when changing flies, dramatically extending the life of your steel trace - sure this would also work well for tigers.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

ok thanks,
    I ve already made a few leaders with fly on it,i often fish for pike( i live i switzerland) but i dont use piano i prefer thin steel traces with a clip and a small swivel.

If you going for tigerfish, you are going to need more than a few, and sure they would work, but it's an expensive way, when piano wire is much cheaper. The tigers tend to really destroy these traces, so go for the least expensive option. I also wouldnt use the clip option, rather the swivel, as the clips also get noshed, and the flies can come off.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

a tiger's teeth can also hook into the clip which would result in a few missed fish...

firephish, please could you explain your knotable wire story a bit more for me?

thanks

sure:

1. buy some knottable stainless steal trace wire.
    2. attache the leader to wire using an allbright knot
    3. attach the fly to wire using a duncan loop or jam knot. I persnally like the jam knot because you can replace the fly a few times without "loosing" too much wire.

the jam knot for wire to hook looks like this:

jam-knot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    firephish, please could you explain your knotable wire story a bit more for me?

thanks
    Last edited by firephish; 23-11-12 at 02:22 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

interesting idea...i like it...

thanks for this mr phish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast