Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tigerfish piano leader

Try a splitring at the end of your trace, onto which the fly goes. It works.

What I did was add a small power swivel to the piano leader that was attached to each fly (10cm's or so). Worked for me
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Hi Kemp14

I would not use a clip - large tigers will break it. Piano wire straight to the fly and to the leader.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jean.struweg View Post
    Hi Kemp14

I would not use a clip - large tigers will break it. Piano wire straight to the fly and to the leader.

Cheers
    Even a small tiger will break it. He just needs to get his teeth in exactly the right place, and its off. The other risk of the clip, is that there is no control how the fly will behave on the clip, during the cast. If you tie the wire onto the hook, , at least you will know that the fly will always be following the leader in a staraight line. It's also very easy to tie the wire, and bend the tag end to snap it off, leaving no sharp wire points. I wouldn't tie the wire directly to the leader, but rather use one of those swivel things. They are small, and tough, but get the right ones.
    Yes, definatly tie the wire directly to the hook. The fewer links in the chain, the better.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Another option is to connect a small split ring to the piano wire. Small, strong and quick to change with split ring pliers.

I've tried high quality clips, and even small tigers are able to destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by tombosis View Post
    Another option is to connect a small split ring to the piano wire. Small, strong and quick to change with split ring pliers.

I've tried high quality clips, and even small tigers are able to destroy them.
    Use a swivel...remember the wire is rigid, and doesnt behave like a tippet. A ring is going to inhibit movement. Swivels are designed to swivel.....thus enhancing the movement that a trace takes away. If you loop and twist the piano wire you anyway are creating a ring, so why add another one? Its simple:- about 6 inches (or less) of piano wire, twisted in a loose loop in the hook eye, the other end, a tight loop around the swivel eye, and the other swivel eye directly tied to your leader. Plain, simple and it works. The leader should be a short one of about 6 feet, and level, probably about 30 pounds. Dont bother with a tapered leader. You need to almost strip strike a tiger, and the longer the leader, the less effective it will be.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12