Thread: Sage Zxl 3wt & Abel TR1 question?

Default Sage Zxl 3wt & Abel TR1 question?

Hi
    I have purchased a Sage zxl 3wt 8'6".
    I have been offered an Abel TR1 (4oz or 112g)(excluded fly line and backing) at a great price.

My question is will a 4oz reel be too heavy for this rod or will it match ok?

Opinions and advice appreciated

No it wont be too heavy. Its a perfect match, if anything, a little small for a 3wt, but thats up to you. There are of course lighter reels than the abel, but for quality and aesthetics, the Sage Abel combination really rocks. The two best fly fishing products ever made, so why not?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi
    I have been offered an Abel TR1 (4oz or 112g)(excluded fly line and backing) at a great price.

Please take my advise with a pinch of salt (i am no expert) but I would imagine the best way to test is to fit the reel and rig the rod with the fly line. Best way to check balance is to actually fit the reel and line and see how it balances the rod. Essentially you are looking at balancing the rod on your index finger. Place your index finger towards the front of the grip. Perfect balance would be if the rod is balanced horizontally on your finger.

Ok everybody can now throw darts at my chest

Hi

I have a 3wt, 8ft6 with a 4oz reel on it.. It's perfect!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Please take my advise with a pinch of salt (i am no expert) but I would imagine the best way to test is to fit the reel and rig the rod with the fly line. Best way to check balance is to actually fit the reel and line and see how it balances the rod. Essentially you are looking at balancing the rod on your index finger. Place your index finger towards the front of the grip. Perfect balance would be if the rod is balanced horizontally on your finger.
    Would this be with or without line on the reel, if with line, how much would be stripped off to simulate a cast, and would it be a weight forward or a double taper line. Also, how heavy is the tungsten bead on the fly that is attached to the end of the tippett, that is attached to the leader that is attached to the line?.................Just asking
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys,excellent advice!

Thanks guys,excellent advice!
    I hope you are going to buy the reel. It's the best small reel you will ever buy, and it's going to last your whole life, and you going to simply love fishing with an instrument of such quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

Would this be with or without line on the reel, if with line, how much would be stripped off to simulate a cast, and would it be a weight forward or a double taper line. Also, how heavy is the tungsten bead on the fly that is attached to the end of the tippett, that is attached to the leader that is attached to the line?.................Just asking
    This is exactly why I said take the advise with a pinch of salt. Use it or dont...either way that is how I did mine with about .50 metre of WF Sharkskin out of the top tip. It would be rather pointless to attempt to balance a rod with an empty reel in my view. I normally struggle to fish without line on the reel

Just out of interest how did you plan to balance the rod with tippet and tungsten bead??? because at some point whatever you strip off will be on the ground and have zero impact on the rod??? You must have a very long ladder