Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sage Zxl 3wt & Abel TR1 question?

  1. #1

    Default Sage Zxl 3wt & Abel TR1 question?

    Hi
    I have purchased a Sage zxl 3wt 8'6".
    I have been offered an Abel TR1 (4oz or 112g)(excluded fly line and backing) at a great price.

    My question is will a 4oz reel be too heavy for this rod or will it match ok?

    Opinions and advice appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    No it wont be too heavy. Its a perfect match, if anything, a little small for a 3wt, but thats up to you. There are of course lighter reels than the abel, but for quality and aesthetics, the Sage Abel combination really rocks. The two best fly fishing products ever made, so why not?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi
    I have purchased a Sage zxl 3wt 8'6".
    I have been offered an Abel TR1 (4oz or 112g)(excluded fly line and backing) at a great price.

    My question is will a 4oz reel be too heavy for this rod or will it match ok?

    Opinions and advice appreciated
    Please take my advise with a pinch of salt (i am no expert) but I would imagine the best way to test is to fit the reel and rig the rod with the fly line. Best way to check balance is to actually fit the reel and line and see how it balances the rod. Essentially you are looking at balancing the rod on your index finger. Place your index finger towards the front of the grip. Perfect balance would be if the rod is balanced horizontally on your finger.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Ok everybody can now throw darts at my chest

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town, Western Cape
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi
    I have purchased a Sage zxl 3wt 8'6".
    I have been offered an Abel TR1 (4oz or 112g)(excluded fly line and backing) at a great price.

    My question is will a 4oz reel be too heavy for this rod or will it match ok?

    Opinions and advice appreciated
    I have a 3wt, 8ft6 with a 4oz reel on it.. It's perfect!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Bence View Post
    Please take my advise with a pinch of salt (i am no expert) but I would imagine the best way to test is to fit the reel and rig the rod with the fly line. Best way to check balance is to actually fit the reel and line and see how it balances the rod. Essentially you are looking at balancing the rod on your index finger. Place your index finger towards the front of the grip. Perfect balance would be if the rod is balanced horizontally on your finger.
    Would this be with or without line on the reel, if with line, how much would be stripped off to simulate a cast, and would it be a weight forward or a double taper line. Also, how heavy is the tungsten bead on the fly that is attached to the end of the tippett, that is attached to the leader that is attached to the line?.................Just asking
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  7. #7

    Default

    Thanks guys,excellent advice!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Thanks guys,excellent advice!
    I hope you are going to buy the reel. It's the best small reel you will ever buy, and it's going to last your whole life, and you going to simply love fishing with an instrument of such quality.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Durbanville
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post


    Would this be with or without line on the reel, if with line, how much would be stripped off to simulate a cast, and would it be a weight forward or a double taper line. Also, how heavy is the tungsten bead on the fly that is attached to the end of the tippett, that is attached to the leader that is attached to the line?.................Just asking
    This is exactly why I said take the advise with a pinch of salt. Use it or dont...either way that is how I did mine with about .50 metre of WF Sharkskin out of the top tip. It would be rather pointless to attempt to balance a rod with an empty reel in my view. I normally struggle to fish without line on the reel

    Just out of interest how did you plan to balance the rod with tippet and tungsten bead??? because at some point whatever you strip off will be on the ground and have zero impact on the rod??? You must have a very long ladder

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •