Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carp

Question Carp

I noticed whilst fishing at Inanda shoals of carp feeding off the surface. I have never targeted carp before but threw a few dries at them without any luck. Is there a reason for them shoaling at this time of the year and what flies generally work.

Bread flies seem to work well when they are surface feeding
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I think Bread flies would mostly only work at places where carp are conditioned to people feeding them bread. I'm not saying that they won't take it but I think it would be more successfull in those conditions.

Alan
    Sean Mills mentions a Klinkhamer dry fly in his Carp fishing DVD which he uses.

If all else fails - Match the Hatch - find out what they are feeding on on the surface and imitate it.

Cheers

So a carp will actually eat a fly that looks like a chunk of bread, as long as it's floating between a few pieces of the real thing? Hehe. Talk about matching the hatch. I go feed the (fat!) carp at the public gardens in town sometimes, purely for entertainment. I hear that I'm not allowed to fish there, but there's no sign saying that. Does that mean I can chance it until someone chases me off, or would that just be wrong to start with? I'm not talking about the chumming bit. I know that's wrong already. But I've actually been wondering if they'll chow a bread imitation. Should my imitation be white or wholewheat, or Best of Both?

P.S. I'd be lank surprised if anyone does, but does anyone know of somewhere close to George, other than the gardens, where one can find and fly fish for some carp? Yet another species that I still need to get on fly.

Cheers!

I find it matters little what fly I use for carp. What counts is presentation - the fly needs to be placed such that it sinks-drifts within close proximity to the carp. I have caught carp on wolly buggers, bloodworms (my favourite), and various nymphs.

LeRoy

Get there early on a Saturday or Sunday morning - Catch one - Mark off another species and hightail it out of there.

Cheers

Hehe! Been planning my strategy for avoiding a ride in the cheesevan for a while now. Doing exactly as you say seems to be my only option. But what with the things I've heard about carp on the bug whip, it might be worth a try! In fact, tomorrow sounds just right to me. Picture that: Long haired dude, resplendent with his cork-handled battle stick, running down York street looking all , authorities on his heels..

Cheers!

P.S. What would you risk to catch one of those warthogs?..

"P.S. What would you risk to catch one of those warthogs?.."

LeRoy - I've caught one a while back.

9kg's

Great fight.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    P.S. What would you risk to catch one of those warthogs?..
    Warthog: Is that the Long haired dude, resplendent with his cork-handled battle stick or the Carp?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    "P.S. What would you risk to catch one of those warthogs?.."

LeRoy - I've caught one a while back.

9kg's

Great fight.

Cheers
    Now at least I know what I will risk. Dang. That's a nice frickin' fish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast