Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starting off....

Default starting off....

morning guys

im glad i stumbled upon this awesome forum, i read through a few threads and must say there is ALOT of info available.
    Im not sure where to start ?

I used to 'papgooi' few years ago when i still had the time to fish. But then the speciman angling wave hit me but throwing in a line and waiting for a carp to bite doesnt excite me that much anymore,its just not interactive enough for me, i saw alot of fly fishing vids on the net and also on some tv programs and i have decided thats exactly the type of fishing i want to get into.

As a total beginner, what type of make should i aim for when buying a rod? Also what type of rod? Then also what reels?Should i start with some tutorials?
    Lastly what other components do i need to kick off my fly fishing lifestyle...... ( mostly gear i guess)

cheers

Chopper

Charlie..

Be a bit more specific.

If you want to fish in fresh water and mostly yellows and carp and mostly in summer. A 5 weight rod with matching floating line and reel will cover all your needs in the begining. What brand of tackle you use us up to your wallet and ego.

Wading boots do help allot. I suget you go fishing a couple of times before spending big bucks on itens such as boots, waders, float tubes and boats.

Welcome here and to the sport, the learning curve is steep but fun.
    Last edited by AB1; 04-07-12 at 09:37 AM.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Blog Entries

Good day Chopper,

I reckon first come up with a budget...and also tell us where you stay...then we continue from there!

Don't buy anything yet. Get someone to take you fly fishing, and perhaps join a club. There are many different fly fishing disciplines, and they all require their own equipment, with a few overlaps, so be carefull.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

i will def only do freshwater angling, the budget will only be 2k to start off with hopefully it is enough
    I stay in Gauteng

thanks for the tip Andre, where in gauteng would you suggest i go to?

Blog Entries

Generally a 5 weight set-up will cover most of your fishing, yellowfish and trout. I don't like to recommend anything specific best would be to go and try some rods at the various flyshops such as Frontiers, Mavungana, Fly fishers unlimited, Urban fly fisher etc. You would also be able to get some casting instruction from them and get a feel for what rod you would like

thanks for the feedback guys, Pipe im enjoying ur blog, i wont be able to get my work done today hehe

Welcome Chopper

Agreed, a 5 weight will be a good starting point. Andre is 100% correct, use borrowed equipment for a couple trips before you spend money.

You are more than welcome to PM me. I am always keen, even if it is a trip to Brookwood.

Thomas

"If you always do, what you always did, you will always get, what you always got."

Booger Rose Banned User

Welcome to FT. Ditto on Andre's advice, join somebody on a trip or two and use borrowed equipmet. get the feel of what you want before you buy. then go and buy the best equipment you can afford. do not skimp on the line! especially if you gonna target trout and need to be able to make delicate presentations.

being in Gauteng I presume most of your fishing is gonna be in the Vaal going after yellows. lots of fun and you do not need to be a master-caster to catch a fish.

One last piece of advise, spend a couple of hour on the lawn and learn to cast with the borrowed equipment, get the fly out 15 or 20 metres before you go to the water to catch a troot. Yellows are different, basic casting will get you a fish.

shots thomas......do you know if they have equipment you can rent at brookwood?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast