Thread: Castleburn Resort - Underberg

0266395 Banned User

Default Castleburn Resort - Underberg

Any views on this resort as a stillwater venue? Any advice in terms of flies, gear, etc. for fishing during September?
    Herman

When i was there 2 years back small flies worked best with maybe the odd damsel etc.Sparsely tied flies.Obviously the small dams are like fishing a pond but there are some really big fish,especially the big dam that has the small island.
    I used the boats provided to fish the dam but that was terrible.If you have a v boat or even trolling motor to connect to their boats it makes fishing a lot more pleasureable.
    I found a lot of activity on the opposite bank near the row of trees at the dam wall.Only problem was those crap aluminium boats that mad a hell of a racket.Spooked all fish in 50m radius.
    You can see into the water and can pick up where most of the channels are as there was a lot of grass when i was there.All in all a nice venue and stay but I would not go again and rather opt for the more known stillwaters in that area.

Herman,

I was there about 3 years ago. Fished the large dam and all of the stockie ponds. Ya got a few fish.

My preference was the river, I've forgotten the name of it, but DAMN that was good, tough fishing. Got my first ( and only ) Brown there as well as a few size Rainbows.

All the fish were caught on submerged DRY fly patterns. I was there over December.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

The river is the Umzumkulu if memory holds. The venue itself, well really, the fishing sucks. Much better places to fish in the area and the river fishing is great. The venue do have access to a part of the river that has a nice run or two. The water is very clear and stealth is of utmost importance. Also had some results with sub surface dries and also PTN's.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

I've been to Underberg a few times. The fishing is tough but I would rather have a tough days fishing in clear water to difficult fish, than fish to pebble fed stockies at a fish a minute. Sure there are better stillwaters in the area but the water is good if you enjoy a challenge. Caught my biggest trout there one morning in July when it was snowing. That was a few years ago though. The reeds on the opposite bank of the dam wall can be very productive but the larger fish seem to be caught on the dam wall side. There are some really big fish in there. I agree Core Fly...small, understated flies and stay away from the areas where 10 guys are casting like crazed baitfisherman and look for an area to explore where you will be alone. The fish are spooky and you will need to be stealthy.

0266395 Banned User

Thanks for the info gents! I am looking for water with bigger fish (not only stockies) and don't mind if I get 1 or 2 fish a day. It seems that a floatation device may be the way to go. I still have to make a final decision. Is there a closed season for river fishing in the area and if so when does it open?
    Herman