Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switch Rods

Default Switch Rods

Does anybody have experience with switch rods for the salt?

I'm confused as to the length of the rods. The ones I have had a look at are either 11 foot or 13 foot. Is the longer rodss preferable to the 11footers?

Apart from 9wt 11ft Stealth Bombers, is there any other local switch rods for the salt?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Conrad

I only know of the longer rods. As for locally made or supplied rods, I only know of Stealth. There are however other brands. My experience is limited, but I would think the extra length for the salt would be helpful... Will you be fishing it from the shore?
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Locally nope. International yes.
    You have a range to choose from.
    If you have one built up, the choices are just as many.
    Have a look at www.mudhole.com to get a feel for what types of blanks are available. I know Batson Enterprises also sell their own label.

Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I only know of the longer rods. As for locally made or supplied rods, I only know of Stealth. There are however other brands. My experience is limited, but I would think the extra length for the salt would be helpful... Will you be fishing it from the shore?
    Would you fish anything longer than a 9' Rod from a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Would you fish anything longer than a 9' Rod from a boat?
    I assume you speaking about fishing off a boat on the ocean?? If so, I have zero experience fishing off a boat in the ocean.

As for fresh stillwaters or even estuaries, yes I'd fish longer.. I do usually fish 9ft, however I'd prefer a longer rod.
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    Does anybody have experience with switch rods for the salt?

I'm confused as to the length of the rods. The ones I have had a look at are either 11 foot or 13 foot. Is the longer rodss preferable to the 11footers?

Apart from 9wt 11ft Stealth Bombers, is there any other local switch rods for the salt?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Conrad
    Hi Conrad. Glad you had Herman down for his & your mother's birthday this past weekend...

Why would you want to use an 11 footer (or 13 footer) in the salt? If for ease of covering water/distance casting - then the biiber, longer rods throw more line than the shorter (generally lighter 11 footers).

NOTE - the longer rod is a less efficient fish fighting tool than the shorter rod, which is why many blue water fly rods are around the 8ft length.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Conrad look at the following.....

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...tch-Rod-Blanks

You will note that the Switch only goes to an 8wt in 11' blanks

On the other hand the Spey goes right up to 14' in a 10wt.

So what weight are you after and if you are serious about this, let me know as I am keen on a 12' something rod in a 8 or 9wt.

Best

I want a rod for rock & surf application. (surf mostly) The logic is that if one spend prolonged periods blindcasting in the surfzone, a switch or spey rod will limit the time spent false casting and hopefully put out full casts with relative ease. This will mean that the fly is in the strike zone for longer.

I'll need a 10wt I guess. GLoomis has an eleven footer that is used for stripers on the Northeast coast of the US (very fast action). Echo has a 13ft 10weight (medium fast)

I suppose the best would be to try and get hold of a rod and cast them, but easier said than done.

ET, I will let you know if I'm considering getting one of those blanks.

This looks like quite a decent stick:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/r...=21&page_id=41

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post

ET, I will let you know if I'm considering getting one of those blanks.
    Sent you a PM, Cheers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast