Thread: Loomis Streamdance GLX - Anyone got one for me to cast?

Default Loomis Streamdance GLX - Anyone got one for me to cast?

Hi
    Im looking at buying a 4wt of the abovementioned rod.
    Im in Durban, KZN so no shops stock this rod that i know of but i would like to test cast this one before i buy.
    Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Did you try Complete Anglers in Kloof??
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

Howzit Ryan, you are welcome to come borrow my 5 for a cast, will give you an idea on action at least.

Thanks Arno i will give you a call.
    I havnt tried the Compleat Angler in kloof.Do they stock Loomis?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Hi
    Im looking at buying a 4wt of the abovementioned rod.
    Im in Durban, KZN so no shops stock this rod that i know of but i would like to test cast this one before i buy.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks
    I dont think G Loomis is a very well represented brand in SA. It's seems to be a very good make of rod, but from what I hear, representation in this country has been sketchy. If this is the case, your backup service would be risky. For a rod that's going to cost you more than a Sage, be carefull. Perhaps for that kind of money, look at a Sage, or a Scott or comething.
    Also, I think that if you are set on this rod, parhaps try fish with it for a while, in your chosen application. A test cast isn't going to tell you much, except how the rod casts. If you are looking to buy a rod based on a test cast... you can get better for much less.
    Last edited by Andre; 23-07-12 at 03:49 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

you make some good points there

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I dont think G Loomis is a very well represented brand in SA" and "you can get better for much less.
    Hi Andre

I feel I need to come up for the Loomis agents here. I have no interest in them, but they have treated me really well over the last 6 years in owning their products.

Firstly, I have broken 3x 9wt GLX Crosscurrent rods. All my own fault (not the rod), 1st in 2007 I had a clouser that knocked off the top 20cm or so of the rod in Mozambique, and I broke 2 last year on the Zambezi, one while stored horizontal against the boat and pressed on by a knee while netting a fish. The other had line wrapped around it, while the fly was hooked up on a stump and the current took the boat, tightened the line and clipped off the tip. I think, given the size of the boat, that line would have taken off a finger if wrapped around it. In all three instances the rods were replaced within the warranty terms without question. I dealt with the agents through Mias and Flycastaway, and had no problems. These are facts, not sentiment. Since 2010 (I think) Loomis was taken over by Shimano, so in theory, you should have the same representation and support as you would with Shimano and some of its other brands like Rapala, Minn Kota etc.

Secondly, (and here sentiment kicks in ) very few sticks cast like a Loomis GLX, but they are hellishly expensive and don't come with a costless warranty. You might get better value for money, but IMHO will battle to get "better for much less". Better casters than me prefer other brands in some wights and models, but I love my Loomis rods.

For the record, I also have Sage rods and I rate my (now vintage by the looks of it) 3wt SP highly, so I am not that biased. If I had the opportunity, however, to swop my 5wt XP's for Loomis GLX's I would do it in a heartbeat. But this is an answerless debate, I guess...

Cheers

Jean

Hi Ryan

Maybe give Ben Pretorius of Ufudu a call. Last time I spoke to him (a few years ago) he fished Loomis. He might have a light rod for try, who knows?

Cheers