Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crabs for the surf?

Blog Entries

Default Crabs for the surf?

Hi Gents,

I have been thinking of trying a few crab patterns in the surf and off the rock ledges on the coast here in Kzn. Sure they work on the flats and estuaries, but the surf? There is a abundance of crabs on our beaches and rocky areas. On top of that we have lots of fish that are known to love eating crabs from the elusive Pompano to the king of our waters, the Ingobolis, with many others in between. I have never tried a crab pattern in any of these areas and mostly focus on using variations of a crazy charlie to imitate a crabby-shrimpy thing when I feel the need. I'm not sure if that is the most effective option an hence my thoughts started wandering towards a crab specific pattern.

does any of you have any experiences with crab patterns in the surf zone, anyone have any success? how were they fished, dead drift or retrieved? or is it too difficult to get the right action in the surf?

all your thoughts will be appreciated
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I have often had similar thoughts, and have orten tied and taken them along in my surf box, but I don't have much confidence fishing them blind...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Growing up along the beaches of Durban, there was only one crab that the fishermen used.
    Although there were many different ones on the rocks etc, the favourite one, lived in the sand, and was a whitish creamy light browny color.
    No one bothered with the abudant crabs on the rocks, you dug the white ones out of the sand, and that was it.
    At that stage I was a youngster and followed the older toppies and the Indians.
    I suppose the most important thing is the color.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Growing up along the beaches of Durban, there was only one crab that the fishermen used.
    Although there were many different ones on the rocks etc, the favourite one, lived in the sand, and was a whitish creamy light browny color.
    No one bothered with the abudant crabs on the rocks, you dug the white ones out of the sand, and that was it.
    At that stage I was a youngster and followed the older toppies and the Indians.
    I suppose the most important thing is the color.
    The sand crab Korrie!!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Mole crab......
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Blog Entries

Thanks for the tips Korrie, I have never been a fond bait fishing so all those little tricks that they share amongst each other dont really come my way! I have noticed along our beaches that in areas with high crab or sand lice concentrations to be the most effective areas to target wave garrick, I must assume other fish will follow suite?

Bruce, I must admit I also have a few merkins in my box. but I dont think I have ever tried any in the surf due to not have confidence in them. But the thing is, fish that enjoy crustaceans on the flats and estuaries that are also found in the surf, must still target them if the opportunity presents itself? also 90% of my surf flyfishing is casting blind, so why choose a baitfish as the go-to if you are after something more unusual?

Think I will try out a few leg-less variations of crabs and see how it goes. Maybe a toned down version of a fleeing lydia crab should to the trick if you are going for a fly you can retrieve
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 24-07-12 at 07:02 PM.
    www.flyordie.co.za

Blog Entries

Oh i thought Korrie was talking about those ghost crabs you get...

Oh yes a mole crab = sand crab = sand lice. Guess different strokes for different folks
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 24-07-12 at 07:04 PM.
    www.flyordie.co.za

These crabs work well in the surf

“Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    These crabs work well in the surf

Hahaha think you need to cast in her wake, sure there is a nice chum trail going. She might also be having a wee?
    www.flyordie.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast