Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Christiana Fly fishing festival 2012

Default Three Provinces report

Like Herman said - the weekend was a resounding success. The fishing was quite tough at stages, but luckily, for myself and Nick, (and our whole group in fact) the first morning brought us some brilliant fish that made the weekend.

For the first session our group had the Renosterpos beat, which is in the reserve. This is the beat where, last year, i caught my biggest SM yet. So naturally as we arrived, Nick and I went to go find the same run that that fish came out of. Which wasn't as easy as it sounds - this section of the river has countless channels and islands, and as anyone who fishes the vaal a lot will know - THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME.
    Eventually after a long walk downstream and bundu bashing over a few big islands trying to navigate the game paths we came out at the exact same spot!

Yellowfish heaven is probably the best way to describe this run - fast water flowing under low overhanging trees and a whole lot of dead trees lining the bank - you just know there are some beauties lurking.

It didn't take long before I was into my first fish - no more than 10m away from last years spot. the next 3 hours brought some epic fishing, with nick and I landing a good few really nice fish betweens us.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19325&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19333&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19331&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19323&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19330&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19328&d=1350328833.jpg
    attachment.php?attachmentid=19320&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19321&d=1350328833.jpg

If you look at the background of some of the above pictures you'll see what I mean by yellowfish heaven. All those fish and a few more (10 for the morning between nick and I) were caught in a stretch of about 100m, almost all of them caught tight up against structure.

That was the session that made the weekend for me, well, in terms of fishing at least. In general the weekend was made by the group we were in, good people, good stories, good laughs and of course fu*%$ng cold and fu^&%ng sour soup!

The friday afternoon was a tough session that only brought me one fish, with not as much deep water on beat 1 I struggled to find the buggers. Saturday was also tough, I think I got 3 or 4 fish for the day, but Dion didn't know the meaning of tough as he kept catching throughout the weekend, with this beauty on saturday morning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19335&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19334&d=1350328833.jpg

All in all It was a great weekend, thanks a lot to all that were involved. I am already itching to go back.

attachment.php?attachmentid=19336&d=1350328833.jpg attachment.php?attachmentid=19337&d=1350328833.jpg

The best group with nick and sam and mories and johan missing still082.jpg

Here's some more picks of the weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

And some more pics, including the famous soup.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Nice pics Herman!

May the LIP ICE be with you! Saw the soup anyone post!

Good fun!

Cheers

Some more pics
    Check the lips on that puppy.093.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]19390

Angelina Jolie of the fish world

Nice Pics John

That yellow has some serious Takbok lips. ( Hahahaha)

Cheers

This explains why the fishing was tougher than normal:

"On the other hand the river had to be flushed with 50cub/m last month to clear a build up of algae from Bloemhof down to Douglas. Then again the river was almost brought to a standstill to allow the shallower areas to dry up completely in order to eradicate a gnat problem. The lower Vaal has been subjected to a lot of human interference in the last 60 days..."

From FOSAF fishing report for lower Vaal
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    The lower Vaal has been subjected to a lot of human interference in the last 60 days..."
    Well that is a possibility, we fished late summer and during winter like we normally do and the fishing was bad, no Largies and the SM weren't around like we are used to, we got some really good fish, but with great distances travelled between locations that held fish and other locations that have historically held quality and quantity fish were barren.

Also the river edges which in previous years sported a thick mat of grass and snot, were totally barren, with a lack of baitfish activity and huge numbers of Grass Carp and Common Carp around.

Basically : Where we would normally have found a school of SM cruising, you now find a school of Grass Carp cruising.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456