Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In Honour of Paul Weingartz... Kosi Trip

Default In Honour of Paul Weingartz... Kosi Trip

So as many of you know there was a competition held in honour of Paul Weingartz a little while ago.

Well a few weeks later I received my rod which is the 9wt Sage RPLXB. As a matter of fact I received the rod a day prior to a last minute trip I had been invited on. Not being one who has had the opportunity to fish the salt regularly, this rod had come just in time.

The trip I had been invited on was a trip to Kosi Mouth, which I had recently found out that this was a place Paul fished quite regularly with a number of friends. It felt quite surreal, that I was now fishing this rod for the first time where Paul had fished a lot of the time.

So to fill you in on a few of the details, we left for Kosi Bay on Wednesday night, 8th August, and drove through the night. We arrived there around 8am at our campsite and began setting up. It wasn't long before we headed down to the mouth to try our hand at some saltwater fly fishing...

Fishing was not for the faint hearted and we cast and cast and cast... To fast track slightly, we decided to fish the mouth on the pushing tide going into the evening on Friday the 10th August. It was around 17:45 and the light was beginning to fade. I was fishing a floating line with a fast sink leader and a flipper tied on the end.. I put out a lengthy cast and bang, my first little yellowfin Kingy. I said to Stones (Brandon), to come and join as I had just landed a fish. We both continued trying over there as it got darker and the tide was pushing a little more. I eventually got into a second fish a bit bigger.. a nice Bigeye Kingfish..

P8101257 (1077 x 808).jpg

We continued fishing and a little while later, Stones also got into a Bigeye. Soon after that he got into a nice Rock Salmon.. Gave him a good pull..

P8101260 (1077 x 808).jpg

Some of the other guys came and joined us and also got into one or two little Kingies.

The following evening, we set out to try the same.. I began casting the fly while some of the other guys waited for the light to fade a bit more.. I was once again fishing off the northern bank and the wind had switched around. It was blowing from behind me. The other lads had joined me and we all tried casting to the elusive fish. The fishing was a lot quieter than the evening before.. Eventually Brandon had got into a little Kingy again.. It was still rather quiet though.. A few minutes later I got a good pull on the line...and then all of a sudden off.. Anyway, what does one do... You carry on!! @ cast later, fishing a baby mullet fly..I got hit by a runaway train....and she just kept on running!! In a flat panic, shouting it's a bus...the Weingartz rod was bent properly.... All my fly line was out, running into my backing I began following the fish.. In the distance I saw this fish jumping like a crazy tarpon. I then realised I had hooked a good sized springer. I eventualy landed the fish, thanks to the help of the lads.. I was overjoyed and managed to grab a few snaps..

P8111271 (1077 x 808).jpg P8111270 (808 x 1077).jpg

A few minutes later, I changed up flies and put on a black and chartreuse brush fly.. I slowed down my retrieve and the line went heavy..It certainly did not feel like the usual.. I kept reeling in and eventually the drag began to run a little... Whatever it was, it was heavy!! I eventually got it in a lot closer. We couldn't quite make out what it was, but as it got closer to the bank we realised it was a ray.. It was a Honeycomb ray of about 1.5 - 1.7m long and had a span of around 70 - 80cm. I had hooked it square in the mouth.. quite a surprise..

I didn't manage to get any photos, but it was a worthy catch and it ended up being a good evening!

To top things off, I met a chap by the name of Derrick Beling last night who was a good friend of Paul's. He told me briefly about some of their experiences and the kind of guy Paul was. It certainly left me with a frog in my throat.. He sounded like a really great guy and extremely committed and passionate about his fishing. I feel priviledged to be fishing his rod and will continue to fish it with hopefully the same passion and do it justice!!!

So to Paul, I say R.I.P and long live his name!!

Thanks again to all the chaps on the trip for all the help. It was great meeting all of you and I look forward to the next one!!

SANY0007.jpg SANY0009.jpg

P8100015.jpg

Regards,

Ryan
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Nice post Ryan.
    Gerrit Viljoen

well done Ryan,
    Frederick

"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

"The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

"If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

Hey Ryan,

Was lekker meeting you and having you join us.
    We also got a couple of fish the drop shot, but seeing its a fly forum we wont show those

The night flyfishing was a great experience! Something, as an almost all my life fly angler, never really believed in but this weekend proved me wrong. We had hits on just about every cast with single arm fast stripping in absolute pitch darkness. Each time we hooked something we would all go and see what suprise fish was on the end. There were one or two smokers, what we came there for but never got to see what was on the end, as they gave us the finger
    My brush flies that worked. First attempt tying them....but they worked IMG01037-20120726-2110.jpgIMG01054-20120728-2215.jpg

Night fly fishing is very dangerous and would advise that barbless flies be used and try use clear safety glasses.
    We had two casualties but luckily nothing too serious.....hahaha. Not so funny at the time but definitely a gas afterwards with a few dops.
    P8110016.jpgP8110020.jpg

We did try the 4x4 route only to Rocktail bay during the day but the Geets were just nowhere to be seen.
    P8101253.jpgSANY0003.jpgSANY0996.jpg

As for a last minute birthday trip, planned to get away from this damn inland cold.....it was definitely a good call to get some rod bending in form a really dismal winter.
    P8111266.jpgSANY0019.jpgSANY0026.jpgSANY0028.jpgSANY0029.jpgSANY0991.jpg
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Nice reports, one special place. Glad you guys got some fish. Did you camp at Utshwayelo?
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Nice one lads...good springer Ryan
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Nice reports, one special place. Glad you guys got some fish. Did you camp at Utshwayelo?
    Yes we did, nice comfortable place. Only crappy thing was the generated power that only comes on at 18:00 - 22:00
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Yes we did, nice comfortable place. Only crappy thing was the generated power that only comes on at 18:00 - 22:00
    Naaaahh.... not having a proper fire pit to chill round with an ice cold bevy.. Other than that, it was lakka!!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Naaaahh.... not having a proper fire pit to chill round with an ice cold bevy.. Other than that, it was lakka!!
    Ja, that too

Glad that Gary got the rod to you before you left. It makes me very happy to see one of his rods being used by someone keen and eager.

Kosi is a very special place to fish and Paul did spend plenty time slogging away in the suds there. We did a trip there late in May (Derrick incl) to remember Paul and had plenty of special moments and laughs. Ask Derrick again when you see him about his nighttime reef to beach crossing on a submerged kayak with Barry?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast