Thread: Adding a wiggle to a fly - Help needed

Default Adding a wiggle to a fly - Help needed

Hi Guys

I need some help over here. My one buddy has shad\elf plastics that swims like real little fish. The tail moves just like a real fish's does.

I've been experimenting with trying to downsize it and making it lighter. My attempt is shown here. The fly tracks well in the water but the tail doesn't wiggle. I've tried putting silicon on the sides of the tail to try and add the wiggle but it doesn't help.

Can anybody give me some advice of how to manage that wiggle ?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi methos

i have used the silicone cone heads from flywaters.they give a definate enhancement to movement in any tail you tie.i used them on my silicone flies and there is a definate improvement in the action.also they have tails,similar to yours in the pic that you tie into the fly and this also gives it the movement.i started tying my tails with feathers instead of bucktail/synthetic.just find esp on my crease flies that the feather tail gives it much more movement.cant really comment on sub-surface but dont see why it wont work.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Make the tail twice as long and mould it around some nylon or mono if it needs the strength, give it a much more pronounced "C" shape and mould it so that the tail is 90 degrees to the right or left rather than straight up as it is now(if that makes sense).

That thing will woble and wiggle like a mister twister one time

Looking at your design I am assuming your friend has plastics similar to the "original" sassy shad - this utilises the weight and angle of top and sides of the tail to cause it to vibrate making it difficult to imitate. The "C" tail is easier to make unless you mould the sassy shad in plaster of paris.
    Check your knots!

Methos

Have you seen a copy of Bob Popovic's book Pop Fleyes? Plenty info there on creating Wiggle Tail flies.

Your other bet would be to make some tails yourself using MC's method of silicone and Ultra Hair sheeting, then cutting the tails out of that.
    For flies, a curly tail ( Grub ) as opposed to a Shad tail would be a better bet I think as it is much lighter and less bulky....

Let me know if you can't get hold of a copy of Pop Fleyes, I'll lend you mine.

Andre
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the replies guys.

Neptune - The tail is made with the silicone sheeting method.

swsmith - I'll definitley try the silcone cones. I've been think of trying to incorporate a diving lip, made from cut up coke bottle, as well but on top so that when the fly is stripped back it rises in the water.

Jock0 I'll try the bend thingie as well. I've been thinking of moulding the shad in plaster of paris but the problem would be that it would be too heavy. The fly on top already casts very badly on a 8\9 weight- I tried to use as little silicone as possible but after trying it out over lunch time I see that the silicone is starting to crack a bit and hair is sticking out in the front.

I've also been thinking of cutting up the sheet of silicone in circles as to create wiggly tails.

Tonight or tomorrow night I want to try and tie up a 2 piece (segmented) deerhair popper with a diving lip. It should also have some wiggle.

Do you guys think this pattern and the deerhair jointed minnow could work for leeries ?

Cheers

Nepps - I haven't seen the Popfleys book yet, but I've been to his website. thanks for the offer - I might take take you up on it.

Hi Methos, This isn't an alteration to the fly, but it could help the wiggle:

Instead of using a normal knot to tie the fly to the line, use some sort of loop knot that allows the fly to slide around a loop at the end of the line. I have no idea of the names of these knots but i am sure someone else could tell you.

The freedom of the fly to slide around the loop will allow for a lot more movement so it should increase your wiggle.

Cheers
    G
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Thanks Grant

I've tried that loop thingie with a previous version of the fly but it didn't add much.

I'll pop down to the local dam at 4:30 to try it again.

Cheers

I tied some more flies to experiment with the wiggle.

The pic is included. The Deerhair one has a lip made from a piece of coke bottle - it is too soft. I'm going to try the bottom of a Coke bottle next. Also it mostly lands on the wrong side when you cast it, with the diving lip in the air.

The red one - a diving flipper, is really great. If you get the hook through right in the middle it dives beautifully. On a fast retrieve it looks awesome. If you give it a good tug and then leave it it slowly floats back to the top. I took it down to a local dam this morning and I was still checking out the diving action when I got a huge hit on it - I was too late with the strike since I got the cr@p scared out of me but I'm definitley going to tie up some more of them. A few with Mylar tubing over the foam should be a excelent fly.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Methos, if I were you I would simply use a tail from the appropriate type and colour plastic worm used for bass fishing. They come in all sizes, from tiny little ring worms to 12 inch long ribbontails. Try and have a look at worms with tab tails (Zoom lures I think). Tab tails have the best action I've seen. If you want to roll your own, have a look at how it is shaped. It's easy to copy. Some of the tails on creature baits like Brush Hogs or it imitations are also quite amazing. Be sure to 'test' the stretchness of the various makes of plastic worms. The better ones are very soft and tear very easily. The cheaper types are quite tough, but can be a bit too thick. Remember that a long wide tail will endow your fly with the aerodynamics of a brick!

The shape and angle of a lip determines how the fly will perform when retrieved. Long lips with a shallow angle are for diving and may not be really functional on a fly. For a wriggling action you are looking at a fairly short, wide and squarish tipped lip, set at about 60 degrees and you may need something a bit stouter than a Coke bottle. Such a fly will not dive very deep, and that may be a blessing when fishing over rocky and other fly-grabbing bottoms.

Hope this helps.