Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newby

Default Newby

Hi everyone,

My name is Lian du Plessis. I used to do a lot of bass fishing (spinners), however, after a visit to my family in Indwe (close to McClear) my nephew introduced me to fly fishing and i was instantly hooked on the sport! When i got back home (Somerset West) i bought some gear (5/6 wt Explorer rod and reel) and some flies. Seeing that i am new to this fantastic sport it is very difficult to get to grips with the basics as i don't know anyone in this sport (exept my family thats 1,200km fro here), and anyone thats been doing this for some time surely knows that as a beginner all the do's and dont's can be very overwhelming. Can anyone please advise me to where i can go or speak to that can help me with the fundamentals and/or maybe join for a day of fishing (any freshwater) even if it means just watching them do what they do!
    Looking forward to everything that this wonderful sport has to offer and making new friends who share the same passion!

Have an awesome day!

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it" - Bill Cosby

Welcome Lian,

Search around on the forum for venues and info in your area, you have some awesome water at hand.

Where are the WC boys to assist?

Good luck!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

I thought this was thread about a notorious blank embellisher:-)

LOL @ Niel... Too funny.

Lian, welcome to the "sport" more of a life long addiction to some. The learning curve is steep but before you know it you get to a place were you are proficient.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

Thanks for the feedback, i can most definately see how fly fishing will become a life long addiction for me to!:smile:

Hi Lian,

Welcome. If you're in Somerset West, drive up the R44 to Eikendal. They have some dams with trout & Bass. Speak to Philip or Etienne. Nice guys and really helpful. They'll get you up & running.

Welcome Lian,

You are 45km's away from the Cape piscatorial society. The most well known club in the Western Cape. Those guys can teach everything.

Here's the link:
    http://www.piscator.co.za/
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thanks Mike, will def be doing that!

Thanks for the link Wernerm!

Welcome Lian

You are in a very good area to learn a whole lot about the sport. As mentioned earlier Phillip and co at Eikendal is a very good start. And from there you can meander on your own building up a network of people to go fish with and maybe join the CPS that will get you into the sport properly.

Good luck and enjoy

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast