Thread: Fly Fishing Tartaruga

Default Fly Fishing Tartaruga

Hi All,

I will be going from the 17th to 21st of December and want to get kitted out properly. I curently have an elbie cheapie setup its an 8/9 wt with a shooting head sinking line. I have tried my hand at St Lucia as well as Cape Vidal with little success, i caught one fish (rockkod). Tartaruga give excellent information on their website regarding fly fishing http://tartaruga.co.za/flyfishing.htm, i would like to get myself a nice 9 weight (i think?) saltwater setup and am looking to spend +- R3000 on it. Please would you advise as to what you think the best possible setup is within this price range, it must also be versitle?

Thanks in advance,

Steph

Hi Steph

I read up to "Typically the rig should have 30lb backing, 25lb fly line/runner, 1lb break tippet, 25lb, leader and 3lb to 40lb shock tippet." and decided that the rest won't be worth reading.

Okay, I lie....... I made it to "pass the fly through a 'sardine' paste".

If I was you I would rather use the search function on the forum to look at rigging and other technical advise.

Now......back to your question.

I would probably suggest something like a Stealth or Explorer eight or nine weight rod matched with a Shilton reel. The total price would probably be a bit out of your budget but it will make an excellent combination that will last many years.

Enjoy the trip
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    I would probably suggest something like a Stealth or Explorer eight or nine weight rod matched with a Shilton reel. The total price would probably be a bit out of your budget but it will make an excellent combination that will last many years.
    I have to agree with MC, rather get a reliable reel for saltwater. Using for a example 9/10wt Xplorer Guide II reel will only leave you crying after you get spooled. Their drags are terrible, especially when wet. A reel that is cheaper than a Shilton that has a okay cork drag is the Stealth GT series, but shop around for a good price. Though Shilton should be on top of your list if you are after the best tool for the job.

The rod is slightly less important, depending if you are one for quality or quantity? A Xplorer Guide II should suffice and has a lifetime warranty for a very reasonable price where as Stealth only supply a 1 year warranty. Believe a Stealth GT 7/9 reel + Xplorer Guide II 9wt rod should be within your budget if you shop around a bit.

Tight lines!!!

PS. Think you should introduce yourself since you are a new member. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/forum...Let-s-Fly-Talk
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 14-09-12 at 10:55 AM.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Cool, thanks guys.