Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info on Fly rods

Question Info on Fly rods

I'm a compleate Noobie at Flyfishing,
    My dad got a Loomis blank from a friend of his many years ago, and he built it up. He then Started Specimen carp fishing, So I dropped hints all Christmas for the Loomis

I'm geussing its +/- a 3-4wt rod. A 2piece.
    What i want to know, (and call it a dumb question)
    I know Loomis is a Frikken expensive rod... now i'm scared of breaking it...
    Can anyone tell me howmuch weight a rod like mine can take before snapping.?
    Not that the chances of me catching a big fish is good...

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post
    My dad got a Loomis blank from a friend of his many years ago, and he built it up. He then Started Specimen carp fishing, So I dropped hints all Christmas for the Loomis

hi
    are there any markings on the rod or numbers that might suggest weight?
    assuming it's a 3/4 weight you gonna have fun, depending on what you targetting. obviously you gonna k&k a bit if you going for barbel and big carp. if dad is specimen fishing for carp, don't try with the loomis. i have a 4wt g. loomis and it's stunning. i can't tell you when the rod is going to snap, if you've fished any rod before, you will know when you've got a meneer, and you play it accordingly, rather let your tippet break. don't push the rod limit.
    you not going to afford another loomis soon
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Default Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    hi
    are there any markings on the rod or numbers that might suggest weight?
    assuming it's a 3/4 weight you gonna have fun, depending on what you targetting. obviously you gonna k&k a bit if you going for barbel and big carp. if dad is specimen fishing for carp, don't try with the loomis. i have a 4wt g. loomis and it's stunning. i can't tell you when the rod is going to snap, if you've fished any rod before, you will know when you've got a meneer, and you play it accordingly, rather let your tippet break. don't push the rod limit.
    you not going to afford another loomis soon
    Unfortunatly there are no markings at all. The Info i got is just what my dad told me when he gave it to me. My dad just got it as a blank rod,in a loomis packet, and built it up. (He actually had two, But my sisters friend was playing "Silly buggers in the house one evening and Broke the tip off.... My Dad nearly had a thrombosis)

He only used these rods for trout, (He's only in the last 5yrs switched to carp) I'v never liked "Putu Slinging"
    So his trout tack was collecting dust. Thats when I got the loomis from him.

That rod Is SOOo Light, and the action is so smooth... I get goose bumps every time i take it out of its tube. P.s I don't think I'll be able to afford a Loomis... EVER!! (Game ranger salary)

I was thinking I should take my rod and 2 reels (Which is the sum total of my whole tack setup) to a Good Tack shop, and get more advice, Esp have a look at my reels. They'r (old Hand me downs) and they make a noise... (I need new tippets, leaders, and a net to)

I'll probably drive though to Frontier Fly fishing next month. I'll Need to call and ask for good directions. I don't know Jo'burg at all.

i still think if you fish to the rods rating, lets assume it's a 3/4 wt. don't try and fight the fish so as to put too much strain on the rod. i also think you should fish the rod rather than keeping it in the show case.
    take care with it and enjoy the feel
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Is it "G-Loomis" or "Loomis and Franklin"? The value will differ between those two makes.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Default good idea

hi Elizevh,

i think the best thing to do is to go to frontier or fly fishers , they will be able to give you the correct weight and will be able to set it up for you , new line , leader , tippet .....

lots of guys from joburg on this , so just give us a shout if you need directions to either of these.

Cheers
    "Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time."

Default G-loomis

Its a G- Loomis...
    I'v e-mailed The guys at Frontier already, and asked for directions...
    I'll go see them after pay-day... (So sad...)

I'll definatly ask if i dont come right with directions...
    (The city traffic scares me!!!)
    Thanks anyway

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Elizevh View Post

Please note, Loomis do not gaurentee a blank unless the guides where double-wrapped (wrap, then guide, then wrap). Take note!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Please note, Loomis do not gaurentee a blank unless the guides where double-wrapped (wrap, then guide, then wrap). Take note!
    seriaas ? why would someone want to wrap a flyrod like that ?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    seriaas ? why would someone want to wrap a flyrod like that ?
    Loomis obviously do not like people to custom build on their blanks. Bad build = breakage = Loomis losing out.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast