Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cape Vidal - September 2012 - Photo Trip Report

Default Cape Vidal - September 2012 - Photo Trip Report

Last weekend 14 of us headed to Cape Vidal for a little fly fishing. The weather was dire to say the least and we were often left standing in pouring rain casting directly into strong winds. But despite the difficulties we did manage to produce a few decent fish, including some nice shad. After arriving on Friday the water colour turned to that of a milkshake on Saturday, and the fishing went downhill for that. That said, what a trip. I'll post a video shortly.

The first fish of the trip, a lizard fish

The first small kingie of the trip

The boys fishing the ledges

Warren with a wave garrick

Nick with a wave garrick

Hayden with a nice shad
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Warren with a shad

Gavin with a shad

Nick fishing in the pouring rain
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Nice Waz! Good that you stuck to your guns and braved the weather
    Vidal is a special place for me but like going out with a boat.......not in that weather though...haha
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Nice Waz! Good that you stuck to your guns and braved the weather
    Vidal is a special place for me but like going out with a boat.......not in that weather though...haha
    The seas have been so rough of late it's washed away the entrance to the beach. Its now too steep too drive a boat onto so no boats were launched while we were there. Once guy launched a jet ski but I'm not convinced he would be able to pull it up that dune. Easy on...hard off...
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Warren, I have one question and don't take this wrong please.

Why are the fish so small? I know that place produces well with some good catches coming out, but why are these on the small side? Was it the weather or was the fishing just not on?

Look forward to your response.

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Warren, I have one question and don't take this wrong please.

Why are the fish so small? I know that place produces well with some good catches coming out, but why are these on the small side? Was it the weather or was the fishing just not on?

Look forward to your response.
    Bwahaaaa. We asked ourselves the same question.

I suppose it was a combination of the cold fronts, howling winds, pouring rains and chocolate coloured water. There were 14 of us fishing and some quite good fishermen amongst us. Guys fished the rocks, ledges and beach from 2/3kms north and south.

I guess there's always next time...
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

I take my hat off to you guys for actually catching something.
    Well done for those additions to the species list.
    That lizard fish would have been long line released if I hooked it, that thing is scarier than an Old Age Home.

If I may suggest something ... judging by the pics ?

Too many anglers in too close proximity (well definitely in the one picture) and as a second option ... it may be a little early in the season to find anything really big, I don't think it's warm enough yet. The other problem with any kind of fishing on that coast is the wind ... if the wrong wind is blowing it blows the cold water into proximity so you see less sprats/queenies/moonies/mullet/etc.

It usually takes a turn in the wind and two or so days of proper blowing in the right direction to bring the baitballs and with that, your chance at a good fish.

My ZAR 0.02 ... YMMV.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Yeah, the only way you get good fish is if you lucky with those conditions on a trip or you actually live or fish religeously at the coast
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    If I may suggest something ... judging by the pics ?

Too many anglers in too close proximity (well definitely in the one picture) and as a second option ... it may be a little early in the season to find anything really big, I don't think it's warm enough yet. The other problem with any kind of fishing on that coast is the wind ... if the wrong wind is blowing it blows the cold water into proximity so you see less sprats/queenies/moonies/mullet/etc.

It usually takes a turn in the wind and two or so days of proper blowing in the right direction to bring the baitballs and with that, your chance at a good fish.

My ZAR 0.02 ... YMMV.
    Thanks for the tips bud.

That picture is a little misleading since most of the time anglers were in groups of 2 and spread kilometres apart. The reason I took that photo is that everyone was together (mostly due to the wind direction and having just arrived).

As for early in the season. You are definitely correct. Guys were mostly hoping for some good shad bashing, not big kingies.

And the wind...well sadly we can do nothing about that.

But yip, you're correct on all accounts.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast