Thread: Spring Grove Dam - Mooi River

Default Spring Grove Dam - Mooi River

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned on the forum. Seems construction has begun near Rosetta and the dam will be commissioned in 2013. At this stage the Inchbrakie Falls will be no more (a traditional barrier prventing bass and carp migrating up into the trout waters). I wonder what this will do to the mooi as a trout stream?

http://www.springgrovedam.co.za/
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

I've just returned from a fishing trip to the Midlands. Was told that they are constructing a weir upstream of the dam to prevent bass migration.

that's good to hear at least...that dam will hold some monster trout in due time im sure. some lucky bass anglers might have a few surprises
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I've just returned from a fishing trip to the Midlands. Was told that they are constructing a weir upstream of the dam to prevent bass migration.
    http://www.springgrovedam.co.za/docs...11%20final.pdf
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

It has been several years now since this dam came into existence. I'm interested to know if it holds any decent trout and if the weir has been successful in keeping the smallmouth bass from invading the Mooi?
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

it holds some very large brown trout from some pics i have seen ... access is a problem though. There is essentially no public access.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Think that Wildfly got some acces via some farmers??? (any one knows?)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I'm also assuming the weir will have been made a little way up the Mooi from the dam to prevent reverse over spill in excess capacity. I wonder if this means the chance exists for those browns in the dam to spawn in the inlet river and for natural recruitment to occur?
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

I know the guy who works for Wildfly based at Spring Grove. PM me for his contact info.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I know the guy who works for Wildfly based at Spring Grove. PM me for his contact info.
    Hey thanks for that offer Bryan. But it's just a casual curiosity for now and I don't feel inclined to delve further with email correspondence - I certainly have no intention of fishing there any time soon.

I spent much of my youth in the Mooi River area, fishing for trout in farm dams with the farm dogs in tow, so the area has a special place in my heart. Spring Grove could become a very special trout fishery - it's in the right area, it's significant in size, there might be potential for natural spawning - if access can ease of course.