Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The health of yellows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Not close enough to the Vaal
    Posts
    188

    Default The health of yellows

    Over the past 2 weekends I've fished the stretch of water between the Barrage and Parys and have landed numerous yellows which are in an appalling condition. The fish I caught all had ulcers/sores all over them, one even that seemed to have part of its tail "eaten" away by these ulcers/sores. Has anyone else encounter this between this stretch of water over the past month?

    YF_01.JPG
    Last edited by Mayfly; 19-11-12 at 07:33 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Over the past 2 weekends I've fished the stretch of water between the Barrage and Parys and have landed numerous yellows which are in an appalling condition. The fish I caught all had ulcers/sores all over them, one even that seemed to have part of its tail "eaten" away by these ulcers/sores. Has anyone else encounter this between this stretch of water over the past month?

    YF_01.JPG
    You arfe seeing smallmouth yellowfish in post-spawn conditions. Happens every year. Most heal & survive.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Seen lots of these on fish post spawn. Picked up three fish this weekend with the typical tail sores from spawning.

    Procreation is tough!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Meyerton
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I landed a few yellows last week, none of them where "spawning" age/size and they where in great condition and fat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Not close enough to the Vaal
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    You arfe seeing smallmouth yellowfish in post-spawn conditions. Happens every year. Most heal & survive.
    Thanks for the info Gary. Good to know it isn't anything long term then.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria Gangsters Paradise
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    That hole around the tail rotting away and so forth is the Epizootic Ulcerative Syndrome, seen lots of that in the last two years, especially on bigger fish. Noticeably different from spawn scarring and so forth which is usully mostly just areas that have had the scales removed and now have a white mucousy residue over it to help protect the fish from further infection.

    Go google the EUS for pictures.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Over the past 2 weekends I've fished the stretch of water between the Barrage and Parys and have landed numerous yellows which are in an appalling condition. The fish I caught all had ulcers/sores all over them, one even that seemed to have part of its tail "eaten" away by these ulcers/sores. Has anyone else encounter this between this stretch of water over the past month?

    YF_01.JPG
    HELL Shane, you do unexpectadly pop up, like the blue moon.

    I will give you a call in the week as you have my old cell no.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Not close enough to the Vaal
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    HELL Shane, you do unexpectadly pop up, like the blue moon.

    I will give you a call in the week as you have my old cell no.
    Hey Herman......I try to spend more time fishing and less posting.

    Also have a new number......will pm you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Meyerton
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly View Post
    Thanks for the info Gary. Good to know it isn't anything long term then.
    I have seen some muddies that have some sores but nothing like the pics - does it even occur in our waters?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria Gangsters Paradise
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    There are other links about this, this is the one I could find the quickest ... http://www.fosaf.co.za/newsDisplay.p...=Current&id=62
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •