Thread: Groenkloof Trip 08 - 13 Nov

Default Groenkloof Trip 08 - 13 Nov

I had the privilege to be on the last trip to Groenkloof. We left Cape Town in the early hours of 8 Nov. My camera housing broke on day 1 so I did not get any "fishy" shots. I am waiting for pics from the other guys. I thought I'd give more info on the venue as a whole, rather than just the fishing. Mine was a bit of a last minute entry to the group and as was the case with a few others, we did not read the info pack. Not too bad though, only 1 pillow had to be bought. The tents are in good condition and the beds are perfect. Terence and I shared the 2 room tent and other than an airconditioner and a blonde, we did not need a thing extra. For those that like to sleep late, forget it. The tents heat up in summer very quick and spit you out early.
    Everyone takes out of a fishing weekend what they need and Etienne is very quick to read the situation and spends equal time with the "hardcore" who want the trophy fish, as well as those that need assistance, from wading to tying knots. The only time we had a warm beer was when we had run out and dashed off to the store and put them on ice at camp, but could not wait long enough for them to get cold. The whiskey drinkers were a tad worried by the amounts of ice we used, but Etienne was always one step ahead.
    There is no cell phone reception at camp but a drive up the hill connects you to the world if you so wish. There were some guys in our party that are notorious for drinking rather than eating. I was surprised to see not one meal missed. On the food side, Etienne surprised us all. A "boys" weekend normally ends up with a kilo of meat in your one hand and a drink in the other. Not here though. Oh you could do the kilo meat thing but you actually wanted to eat the veggies, salads and home made breads. Not once did we get a quick tin side dish.....
    An accomplished cook I must say. (and he can fish too) .
    It was my first time going for Yelo's and I learnt a moerse lot. A stunning quarry that taught me a good few lessons. I could have fished harder but I took from the weekend what I needed for me. I don't think any one of us could complain about too much, other than we might have drank too much or eaten too much. Thanks guys for a brilliant time. Give it a go, it's not always just about the fishing. It's not 5 star, but it's a jol. I think Etienne and his liver said, "Thank you Lord for sending them home" Don't get me wrong, you don't go on a trip like this to just have a party. I'm telling my side of the trip as I experienced it, not having fishy pics to show. We were 6 people who left satisfied and for those of us that had not caught a Yelo or a muddy before, we certainly have a renewed respect for them and a few burnt fingers. All of us got into a Yelo or more. I ended with 7 muddies and 1 yelo and a crap house that came off.
    It really was a worth while trip and thanks to you guys that helped me get there.
    Etienne, thanks for putting together a memorable trip.
    If you are looking for a "Get Away from it all" coupla days with brilliant fishing, give this venue a shot.
    Thanks again guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Lekka Rolz! Glad you had a good time. fishing itself like you said is much more than fishing. Need to do this trip sometime . . . looks awesome
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Lekka Rolz! Glad you had a good time. fishing itself like you said is much more than fishing. Need to do this trip sometime . . . looks awesome
    "Like" heh heh. I spoke to someone that was on the trip earlier and he has some good pics of the fishing. We are meeting tomoro to sort out the rest of the pics, then can post "Fishy" pics.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

That is inspiring and something that I must put on my bucket list!
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

HEY Baldy, that came out of the blue >

Glad you had the opportunity to finally see why I'm so passionate about fishing the Vaal.

Great report from a great point of view.

Just really chuffed for you to have done the trip/
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    HEY Baldy, that came out of the blue >

/
    That's why I was so unprepared. I was phoned on the Monday evening at about 9:30. AND, I had made a plan with a friend of mine previously,to fish on the Tuesday. So it was a rush deluxe but Thanks to the guys, and I enjoyed every second of it.