Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies for Kob

Default Flies for Kob

Hi guys,

I'm spending the Christmas Period in Port Nolloth and will be spending a fair amount of time fishing at the mouth of the Orange.

I seems there is very little on the web about fly fishing up there but one thing I know is that there are Kob, and the best time for them there is in the summer apparently. So I will be spending a fair bit of time targetting them in the mouth and estuary as well as in the surf.

I've read about clousers fished deep working but would like to hear some more ideas from a few guys with some experience with Kob.
    Something I've been thinking about is imitating sole? I'm only guessing but I would think that if a Kob sees a sole messing about in the sand he's gonna go for it?

Anyone tried/considered imitaing sole? with a fly that churns the sand up off the bottom?

Sam

Hey dude...

From what i've read, all white whistlers are aslo a good option...

McCarthy 4" paddle tail is also a good optionhaha

There are sole imitations, you can find some on the net...i think the trick is getting the flies onto the bottom as quick as possible and for as long as possible. they must push water and puff up sand etc...

Otherwise a live mullet works wonders too
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

I have used Red Knights with fair success for kob.
    For a sole fly, take an old plakkie and weight it :-)
    I did make some sole flies out of deer hair, but have never caught anything with them.
    Will see if I can dig up a pic.
    Regards
    Craig

Thanks guys i'll have to tie a few different things and try them all - I'm also hoping to catch a yellow in the river mouth on a massive kob fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    I have used Red Knights with fair success for kob.
    For a sole fly, take an old plakkie and weight it :-)
    I did make some sole flies out of deer hair, but have never caught anything with them.
    Will see if I can dig up a pic.
    flatfishl.jpg
    here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ArcherFish; 20-11-12 at 04:33 PM.
    Regards
    Craig

nice one, I found this fly on the web which i might try doctor slightly for a sole imitation. similar idea to yours. thin lizzy.jpg

I would go with bait first and get one or two and gut them to see what they are eating. In namibia 2 years ago I found gobies in the stomachs of the cobs.

Clousers should do the job, we have caught them on clousers, and paddle tails as suggested. Fished on a long leader with slow bounces of the bottom, if you get stuck you know you in the right place.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

hmmm killing one or two kob is not something i'm likely to do, but i will def consider your find - the gobies in their stomachs. Thanks Dewald.

Ja a clouser along the bottom would certainly imitate gobies and sole reasonably well, but i'm also going to try tie something more realistic and give them a mottled sort of finish. Worth experimenting I think.

Does anybody know much about the worms that guys pump out of the sand and use as bait, i'm sure there are a number of different species but what sort of colour and size would i go for if trying to imitate these worms?

mostly they use blood worms...they can get very big and have a dark blood red body. these baits are magic in the estuaries!

if there are rocks where you're fishing off, also look for mussel worms...they live in the rooted area of mussels and can bite...so be warned
    bushveld scalies - worth the blood, sweat and tears

Hey Sam,

I have flyfished the mouth quite a few times but a while back (Oranjemund side) . Caught cob, shad and yellows on silver and white deceivers and chartreuse clouslers. I even caught yellows in the breakers just outside the mouth during low tide, crazy stuff!
    Here are a few pics I could find of the mouth area: Namibia 017.jpgNamibia 037.jpgNamibia 048.jpg
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast