Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flies for Kob

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Hey Sam,

I have flyfished the mouth quite a few times but a while back (Oranjemund side) . Caught cob, shad and yellows on silver and white deceivers and chartreuse clouslers. I even caught yellows in the breakers just outside the mouth during low tide, crazy stuff!
    Here are a few pics I could find of the mouth area: Attachment 19869Attachment 19870Attachment 19871
    AHA someone with some experience there, that's good news Brandon

Can i bother you for some finer details...?
    what time of year was it that you had success?
    did you catch more fish on specific tides?
    I might be pushing it but is there a specific wind direction that switches the fishing on or off up there that you know of?

any info would be good Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by saml View Post
    AHA someone with some experience there, that's good news Brandon

Can i bother you for some finer details...?
    what time of year was it that you had success?
    did you catch more fish on specific tides?
    I might be pushing it but is there a specific wind direction that switches the fishing on or off up there that you know of?

any info would be good Stones.
    Hey Sam,

I basically fished when I went on business up that way, only mornings and evenings but was also there once for a whole weekend.
    Fishing can be be absolutely dead at times, like you say, and found that when that wind comes strong off the Atlantic it can be very difficult. But when the fish are running it is good but the birds and seals murder them and can be a real pest for a fisherman.

I generally went summer and winter but found that a North and Eastery wind was best. Winter the shad came through in thousands and even went 5km's upriver in a pushing tide and many died as it droped, getting caught in the side runs and pools. But they were small.
    Summer was good for the yellows and cob. Steenbras and grunter are also abundant, can use shrimp immitations for those. I didnt catch them unfortunately but they are there. When the water is mixed, you'le be suprized what you can actually catch and the cob love the murky waters of the river to hunt food.

Pushing and turning tides were best for the salt guys but when that river comes back out, forget flyfishing....hahaha
    But at low tide, you can target the yellows in the sea. Phenominal stuff, glad I got to experience that. The barbel also hang around closeby but I wasnt targetting them.

Its a very different kind of fishing there but can be great and it can be absolutely cr@p. You are iether there when its happeneing or not.
    I always seemed to just miss the runs but a beautiful unspoiled place!
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

Thanks Brandon - some valuable info there. Ja i've been there twice and it seems they were both off days - even the baities having no luck. then a few days after leaving port nolloth my folks would go and catch PLENTY yellows and steenbras. So im just going to play the numbers game this time and get as many days as i can out there.

I know that it's a diamond area and on the SA side you have to be out of there by 6pm(i think). is that also the case on the other side?

No prob Sam.
    I had more pics but those are gone because my computer and hard drives were stolen
    If you have diamond area clearance, there is no kerfew. Not sure how it works on the SA side?

The fishing was always one of the toughest for me but that place will always remain close to my heart. I never got any largies for some reason, it was always SM but they must be there.

Good luck dude, take lots of pics and watch the birds
    ".....angling is a sport that requires as much enthusiasm as poetry, as much patience as mathematics and as much caution as housbreaking". - James Rennie 1883

You know what I didnt try, was brush flies! Especially in that murky water of the orange. I recon that with flies that push water will be very successful there......try it Who knows what you will pick up......maybe even a bronzie..... haha

Nice photos. Looks very fishy to me!!!!

I am going to target Kob here in Knysna and I am tying a few cob whistlers for that, but I will try goby and sole patterns, so thanks for that guys.

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2