Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pringer, Skipjack, Lady Fish

Default Pringer, Skipjack, Lady Fish

What are the best flies, advise and time and place for these phenomenal fighting fish.

Who has caught and what fly was used, share(if you want) some of your experiences.

Thanks
    Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi Brian
    Between 1995 - 2005 before the restrictions in Durban harbour came about we caught hundreds of these awesome fish.They are dynamite!!
    They eat most flies but i had most of my success on chartreuse/white & yellow/white dumbell eyed clousers.I found size sizes 2 to 2/0 worked the best.Some days 4/0's would work also.They do respond to a fast strip mainly although ive caught on a slow retrieve also.
    They also take a popper stripped on the surface.I like an all white popper in a long shank 1/0.They have very hard bony mouths so you often get lots of hits and no hookups.They will jump when hooked and this is where they often throw the hook.Id say you land half you hook.I prefer using a fast intermediate line for the clousers.
    If you need more info inbox me

Blog Entries

Last year I had great success with them in Lake St. Lucia, they only came on the bite early summer. Caught all on 2/0 Olive over off white SF blend clousers sparsely tied and stripped at breakneck speeds from the bottom up through the water column. Best weather was on over cast or rainy days with a slight southerly blowing.

Here are some pics

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Great pics!
    I found our most successful days were incoming tides,about 2-3 hrs off low.Also NE winds & very hot cloudless skies produced the best days.Funny that we had NO success in overcast,cool days with a SW wind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Great pics!
    I found our most successful days were incoming tides,about 2-3 hrs off low.Also NE winds & very hot cloudless skies produced the best days.Funny that we had NO success in overcast,cool days with a SW wind.
    I think the reason for my success on rainy days is due to the fact that I was fishing the entire area alone. I have heard that Springer are not fond of noise and movement and I do believe it till proven otherwise. In Richards Bay for example there are plenty of springer but they are only caught when there is almost no boat traffic in the very early mornings and very late afternoon. The springer I caught on three occasions on rainy days where all caught around midday and St Lucia has minimal boat traffic since the mouth closed some years back, so the only other real source of noise or movement is fishermen.
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

Down P.E way, all white whistler and all white popper does it.
    Good luck.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks Guys

Never really targeted them here in Knysna, but I've herd the lads say that after dark is the best time. I will post any pics with any success.

Thank

Brian

There is a couple secluded skippy spots in the garden route, a couple of years ago we found a whole population of them in one estuary. We hooked something like 12 or 14 fish in one afternoon and only landed 4. I dropped a decent fish of close on a meter, still haunts me. Knysna has good spots, but fishing them is not easy and finding them is even harder, that is if they are around.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

And I suppose those secluded spots will only be mentioned in PM's?????

the one spot is not so secluded anymore, but I have heared that with a cano or float tube one could get some more action as no one ever fishes there. The spots in knysna you will need a boat or skiff or some floating device for, as its not wadable there, allthough very shallow
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast