Thread: Shad on fly -Tactics and Patterns

Default Shad on fly -Tactics and Patterns

Please share if you dare a few flies and tactics that has been proven on Shad.
    I am going to target them in the Knysa lagoon and want to give myself the best chance by combining some passed on knowledge from successful stories.

Thanks guys
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi Brian...clousers,salty buggers,maxi dogs breakfast and white poppers or flippers.....would suggest you look for the favourite flies of the guides(think thats the title)think theres 4 editions where the top SA guides give advice on various patterns for various species
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

What Agent Smith said ...

I have not fished for them in the WC, but in the EC you would find some days a plain white clouser varying degrees of flash would produce fish when nothing else would, so having a selecting of Salty buggers should see you sorted, just be sure to have enough, their teeth can often destroy the marabou on your Salty bugger's tail.

I would typically fish a mouth from the end of the low with the start of the push irrelevant of time of day, or alternatively in the surf zone around points etc early evening till after sunset or before sunrise till about half an hour after the sun is over the horizon, if it does not coincide with any specific change in the tide.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

flippers and saltybuggers is by far the best. Sparely tied olive clousers also work very well, but they must be fished in the middle of the water coloum. If the bigger fish is about, get some thicker leader line, otherwise take the 5wt and go have fun. Not sure where in knysna to target them, but Sedge used to have a lot of good sized fish.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Awesome, thanks so far. The name of the book would help and where to order it from.
    Wanna nail them this season.

Brian
    Last edited by briansflyfishing; 03-12-12 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    Wanna nail them this season.
    Interresting ... I prefer to catch my fish.

Favoured Flies and select techniques of the Experts Vol 1 - 4. (I think you will have varying degrees of success in locating these, but good luck, they are nice books to have)

EDIT : Forgot to mention ... it was published by FOSAF, so if your local shops don't carry them all, you can always try to get in touch with FOSAF and see if they are aware of where you could find some.
    Last edited by Scythe; 03-12-12 at 01:00 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thanks for that, will investigate.
    I tried to catch them but "sukkeled", now I prefer to nail them......so far so good.
    Last edited by briansflyfishing; 04-12-12 at 06:39 AM.