Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orange River

Blog Entries

There are some rapids in front of the camp. yes FU on Namib side. I landed the one lmy on Namibia side. AS I wade fron SA Iexpected someone to check my passport, but none arroved!

As it was a drift trip I didnt get as much time to fish as I would have liked. I fished the evenings and mornings when we happened to camp at rapids. The river is low, clear and the fish were in the rapids throughout the day, from early morning (before sunrise) till dark.

The fishing was absolutely epic, I hamerred fish everytime I went out with multiple double ups, I got a lot of small fish, got SCHOOLED twice but BIG fish and manged my PB of 3kg's. In total I fished for maybe 8hrs over the trip and caught 60+ fish, which I thought was pretty decent seeing as I am a Troutbum
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    As it was a drift trip I didnt get as much time to fish as I would have liked. I fished the evenings and mornings when we happened to camp at rapids. The river is low, clear and the fish were in the rapids throughout the day, from early morning (before sunrise) till dark.

The fishing was absolutely epic, I hamerred fish everytime I went out with multiple double ups, I got a lot of small fish, got SCHOOLED twice but BIG fish and manged my PB of 3kg's. In total I fished for maybe 8hrs over the trip and caught 60+ fish, which I thought was pretty decent seeing as I am a Troutbum

Awesome!!! this is bloody good news. 9 days until i will be driving to port nolloth so i'm hoping the water stays low n clear and i'll be in for some awesome fishing!

I am planning on stopping near ***amas (probably khamkirri) does anyone know how much difference in conditions there can be between there and vioolsdrift? its a good 400km upstream..

u get any largies?

Unfortunately the flows have gone up from 3 cumecs three days ago to just over a hundred right now. These flows are pretty constant all the way from vanderkloof down to Vioolsdrift and beyond...

Not good news but maaaaaaybe they will release less water now that the worst rain seems to be past.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Unfortunately the flows have gone up from 3 cumecs three days ago to just over a hundred right now. These flows are pretty constant all the way from vanderkloof down to Vioolsdrift and beyond...

Not good news but maaaaaaybe they will release less water now that the worst rain seems to be past.

I'll post that link here as well....

http://playak.com/flows.php?country=South Africa

It takes five days for the water to get from Upington to Vioolsdrift and it seems to be dropping off a bit.....

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    I'll post that link here as well....

http://playak.com/flows.php?country=South Africa

It takes five days for the water to get from Upington to Vioolsdrift and it seems to be dropping off a bit.....

Cheers
    MC
    Thanks MC, do you have to register on that site to see the data?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123