Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some advice please.

Default Some advice please.

I will be visiting SA again the end of this year. Based in Cape Town but planning a week on the road as well.
    Have booked 2 nights second week of janurary at the breede river estuary, staying at the mudlark which seems to be quiet fishing oriented and then a few more nights in wilderness/knysna/plet. Not decided where yet. Any advice welcome!
    The owners of the mudlark seem to know their fishing but not so much fly fishing.

I'm an experienced fly fisher but freshwater only so need some advice on what gear I need to bring for salt.
    I have 3,5,7 weight outfits and can borrow heavier if needed. Would rather not borrow unless I have to.
    A few fly suggestions to cover what I'm likely to meet please?
    Leader strength?
    Footwear?
    Dangerous critters to watch for?
    And any other things I may have left out please!
    I'm limited on the amount of gear I can bring what with the missus filling half my case with shoes and shit.
    Cheers guys
    Noel.

The 7wt should be fine for estuary work.I am sure the guys who know that area will post tactics.
    Hermanus,plett and knysna I believe will offer your best chances.

Cheers core fly!

Blog Entries

How long are you in the knysna/plett area? PM me your dates, I may be home while you are there.

Hi Noel
    In Knysna the guys are getting some good catches. Leeries in abundance, many of them small but a few guys have taken a few big ones. Most catches on conventional tackle, but they are coming out.
    Kob are also here, more around the white bridge area, Grunter catches also reported.

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks Brian! By more conventional do you mean bait or lures? I will take a spinning rod as well but don't know anything bout bait fishing! What lures would you recommend?

Hi Noel....the wind at breede can blow and a 7w might be a little bit too light...I fish a 10w there.flies u will need are surface flies ie poppers and flippers.deceivers and clousers should work for sub surface.Olive charlies or similar if you brave enough to target the grunter.dont wade too deep cos there are zambezis in the system
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Stephen
    Thanks for that some great info there. Hmmm don't think I will be wading at all so!! I will have the use of a boat while there so may not need to wade.
    Few more questions now!
    Do I need footwear, are there nasties I could step on?
    Also is mono leader ok or do I need wire?
    Cheers
    Noel.

The only nasty you might step on is an electric ray. They don't kill, but the experience of stepping on one is apparently unforgettable. If you are fishing for elf/shad/tailor/bluefish/Pomatomus saltatrix (I'm not sure what you know them as) then wire is advisable. Lots of guys choose to use thick mono as a shock tippet instead (0.7mm) as it does not compromise the action of the fly and it is less visible. For everything else mono is fine.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

mono is fine...no need for wire unless you start picking up elf often but this rarely happens.I would suggest a decent boot that you can walk on rocks with.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast