Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    The only nasty you might step on is an electric ray. They don't kill, but the experience of stepping on one is apparently unforgettable. .
    I was dumb enough to try and photograph one in the shallows at Kob inn.....barefoot. followed him and then the next thing he vanished. My next step forward was greeted with quite a response. I screamed like a little girl and stood on another one before I got off the flat. My friends could barely breathe they laughed so hard.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Booger Rose Banned User

I fish my 5wt in the salt, no problems. Most of the Leeries are small and if you do not have a 10 wt it's no problem. The Breede is great, take the boat, get to the sandbank, get out of the boat and walk along the drop-off to fish. You can do this barefoot without any problems. If you fish the mouth at the Breede, take a good quality shoe for the rocks. If you fish from the boat, take your light spinning rod along. The owners of the lodge will help you to pump some prawn. Use a number 1 hook, about 40-50 cm trace and small ball sinker, one or two mudprawn on the hook and wait for a big grunter or steenbras to make your day. December is a great time for these fish. Don't waste time chasing grunter on the fly, very difficult and the Leeries are a much better option.

If you only have one or two days to fish, go to Plet and fish the river for Leeries. Knysna is difficult to fish if you do not know the spots and it can easily turns into a day wasted.

I'm not a boffin on flies, normally just tie a couple of flippers and some chartreuse over white weighted flies. Fast retrieve and it worked up to now. Hopefully someone can help you with some more detailed insight. I also use a small popper on fast retrieve.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    I was dumb enough to try and photograph one in the shallows at Kob inn.....barefoot. followed him and then the next thing he vanished. My next step forward was greeted with quite a response. I screamed like a little girl and stood on another one before I got off the flat. My friends could barely breathe they laughed so hard.
    I stepped on one in Stilbaai - made my day!

Great stuff guys. I'm getting excited now!!! I will definetly wear shoes

Hi All

where in Plet do you go, directions would realy help, i`m there from the 28th.

Just to let you guys know how it went. Not much to report unfortunately. Fished the Breede river mouth for most of one day and did manage a fish, well I was told later it doesnt actually qualify as a fish a tiny thing called a blaasop....caught loads of those actually. My missus thought they were cute until I couldnt unhook one then she thought I was a murdering so and so.
    I also fished out of the mudlark lodge on their boats with prawn and got a few grunter up to legal size and a steenbras. Never fished that method before and it was great once we found the fish. Man those grunter can pull!!
    Knysna was a bit of a disaster. As I posted elsewhere I fished the first morning with no luck, wrong place I think. Armed with more info from some of you guys I was all set for the second morning but we came back from dinner that night to find our room in guest house had been robbed. Could have been much worse at least all my fishing gear was in the car! Kinda made me rethink safety though and put a halt to my fishing plans.
    There's always next year hopefully!!
    Cheers for the help and I will be sure to stick up some pics from my season here in Scotland.
    Noel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12