Thread: Midlands - more than trout

Default Midlands - more than trout

Hi people.

I am not heading straight home from St Lucia this December but will be doing a camping stopover in the Midlands.
    I'll probably fish for the odd trout but would really want to look at something different in the area.

I know there are bass in some dams, what else can I target in the Midlands in the heat of summer?

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Cold beer at the Notties Hotel and micro brewery down the road...
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Rawdons will see a lot of me but I want to fish at least 2 days out of 5.
    Are there not yellowfish in some rivers?

I am going to chat to the guys at the fly fishing shop but hoped to get some ideas here first.

You will find Scalys in the Mooi but it is lower down below Mooi River. Unfortuntely around Nottingham road you might have to settle for trout.

I have no idea of specific areas for the scalys there, just heard that they are there.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Unfortuntely around Nottingham road you might have to settle for trout.
    Lol. Imagine having to settle for 'lowly' trout. What a catastrophe!
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Having read a couple of excerpts from the book "An Entrirely Synthetic Fish" http://globalflyfisher.com/reviews/b...synthetic-fish
    Rainbow trout have been down graded a notch or 2 in my frame of reference.
    BUT I still love to catch them.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I never got to go find other fish but had a session on the trout dams at Holly farm.
    HARD fishing but I got 3 good rainbows over 1.5kg and one was around 2kg.
    I made it harder by breaking my 4/5 weight rod before I got there and not having a sinking line for my 3 weight I ended up fishing with a 9 weight and salt water leader.
    These fish put up a really strong fight without runs just HARD repeated shakes and two big ones managed to get a "short release" by doing this.
    I wish I brought a float tube or even stripping basket as this was hard work from the overgrown and steep banks.
    Orange fritz bugger and the ever trusty speed cop got the fish in the end. Deep and slow.

Nice going there shark_za,
    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.