Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Locating trout in streams and rivers

Hi PTN you make some good comments there.

My only question against your thinking is that why stand in front of the rock which is a prime trout/yellow holding spot? I always try and stand in the least comfortable place and fish into the most comfortable place in the hopes the fish are there! I've been lucky enough to nail some monster fish of various species on fly in the last coupla months by laying flies right in front of big rocks for the very reasons you mention! Slower water just in front of the rocks with a food combo oxygen trap to boot is great. A fish in front of a rock also knows it's 'blind spot' behind it is protected and covered from cormorants/otters and the like. It can also swim round the rock to safety elsewhere.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers, Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hi PTN you make some good comments there.

My only question against your thinking is that why stand in front of the rock which is a prime trout/yellow holding spot? I always try and stand in the least comfortable place and fish into the most comfortable place in the hopes the fish are there! I've been lucky enough to nail some monster fish of various species on fly in the last coupla months by laying flies right in front of big rocks for the very reasons you mention! Slower water just in front of the rocks with a food combo oxygen trap to boot is great. A fish in front of a rock also knows it's 'blind spot' behind it is protected and covered from cormorants/otters and the like. It can also swim round the rock to safety elsewhere.

Just my thoughts!

Cheers, Chris
    Chris, when I took that position I was looking to fish the pool ahead where the fish were rising at dusk. The rest of the time, I always tried to fish ahead of the rocks. It's the lie I remember best because of the stories I read in that book. I didn't catch any fish in those lies that time because it wasn't the best time of year. They seemed to hide in the bigger, slower pools where I couldn't reach them. I wasn't bouyant enough.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5