Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New water and planning

Default New water and planning

hi guys

i heard a tip once that one should look at what type of insects are flying/sitting around the waters, which makes sense because thats the natural source of food for the fish.

is there other methods that you guys use to determine what would work best in the water? I would like to get my planning right and be more accurate

cheers

Wait for someone to catch a fish and ask him what fly he used

Depending on your method, you can use 2 or three different types of flies at once and try and see a pattern (i.e they take the #16 mayfly nymph imitation everytime, thus....)

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharlie View Post
    hi guys

i heard a tip once that one should look at what type of insects are flying/sitting around the waters, which makes sense because thats the natural source of food for the fish.

is there other methods that you guys use to determine what would work best in the water? I would like to get my planning right and be more accurate

cheers
    Being more accurate by reading the water for insects should be be your plan.:wink::biggrin:
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by icstuff View Post
    Wait for someone to catch a fish and ask him what fly he used
    Ja!!! Pieter!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I Think the best way to get an edge on fishing New Waters is to talk to the Locals.

I once approached a Local Fly fisher for info on getting access to a Back Counry Stream.

Now this guy gave me most detailed instructions of which road or track to take with solid advice which I dutifully made notes of on the back of an old paper bag. Only to be told with a wide grin.That when I arrived at the turn about at the end of a particular track I had marked with a Big X. I would not be within a Bulls Roar of his favourite spot on the stream. Have Fun. Jax
    A man is only as big as the things that annoy him.

I gather that you are speaking about stillwaters? In that case put on a fritz/bugger/jig and catch some fish. Then start experimenting with natural patterns when your wrist is tired and you need a break from catching...:wink:
    " Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian." -Dennis Wholey

Quote Originally Posted by ChopperCharlie View Post
    hi guys

cheers
    All waters always have nymphs present, stillwaters or rivers. So if no hatches happening on the water you are ffing, start with nymph patterns. From small mayfly to damsel on to the bigger dragonfly patterns. Caddis and stonefly, midge pupae as well.
    Dave

OF INTEREST: In Southern Africa, an average 85% of trout food is sub aquatic, with the remaining 15% being surface food. However, such figures indicate strongly that imitating trout foods such as dragonfly nymphs, hatching sedges, buzzer pupae and fish fry is pivotal for success.
    Dave

I agree with Dave.
    Based on his percentages.

Brian
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast