Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butt section for use as wading stick

1. Default Butt section for use as wading stick

Hi guys - bit of a funny request here, but hoping someone could help out. Ed Herbst is moving to Rhodes in the near future, and he really needs a lightweight wading stick for the rivers and streams there. In the past he has used a butt section of a conventional saltwater rod, and he is really sold on getting another one. Can anyone help me with something like that? An old butt section of a unused/broken rod? Diameter probably around 25-30mm?? Would really appreciate it of anyone could assist me (and Ed) with this. Thanks, M
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

2. Default

http://www.purglas.co.za/index.php?o...d=69&Itemid=91

Which of these blanks would suite the 25-30mm diameter? The 1-piece blanks are fairly cheap. Something like the following looks great, unfortunately I have no clue what this is

Off-shore boat series (AFTCO guides)
    BG 30 - STRAIGHT R 123.00
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

why does he not use a good old broom stick, then he can clip you behind your ear from time to time...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

4. Default

Actually, 20mm might be better suited ....
    Mario Geldenhuys

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    why does he not use a good old broom stick, then he can clip you behind your ear from time to time...
    Too heavy ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Too heavy ...
    you or the broom stick...why dont you turnhim one on the lathe..?
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hi guys, I do have a butt end of a 10 weight, I hope that Ed is not too name conscious, as the rod is an old Kingfisher Malachite. Only problem is I am here in Durban and Ed is in the Cape. Any ideas?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by springer1 View Post
    Hi guys, I do have a butt end of a 10 weight, I hope that Ed is not too name conscious, as the rod is an old Kingfisher Malachite. Only problem is I am here in Durban and Ed is in the Cape. Any ideas?
    Hi Springer - happy to pay for postage and for the butt section. Ed is coming through this month, we are probably going up the weekend of the 18th to help him settle in and take some measurments for cabinets and shelving for his library :-D I still need to add some stuff to the piece, like a stopper and handle and such. What is the diameter of the section? That is paramount to get right. Thanks in advance, M
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hullo there Mario, the offending butt is the rear half of a 9 foot rod. The butt has a total length 34cms including the fighting section. I am able to get the rod to Cape Town on a flight this afternoon, if that will help speed things up.
    How can we chat off line to speed this process up. Cheers Bruce

Hullo Mario, I have left a message on your cell. Cheers Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast