Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pascal Cognard to visit South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    One of the most interesting moments for me was when Sad had a cast with my textured SA GPX line and basically said (in diplomatic terms) that it was a roll of toilet paper. He really wasn't impressed at all and told me I should get Snowbee line instead... I think there's some food for thought/discussion in that statement.

The brief session on knots was worth a lot for me personally, especially the way the dropper is tied in. I have lost a lot of fish in the past due to bad knots and ignorance in this area, and I feel I'm quite equipped now, and confident I may add.
    Snowbee do make some very nice lines, we just have limited experience with them in SA.
    http://www.snowbee.co.uk/fly-fishing/fly-lines/
    I personally LOVE my textured GPX line, so there are personal preferences (have not fished with a Snowbee in years, so I cannot compare directly). Many hate the sound the Sci Anglers Textured and specifically the Sci Anglers Sharkskin makes.

Dropper connections were nice - I was happy that my specific questions about retying droppers had a proper, thought out answer.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

What was the question and reply Gary?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    What was the question and reply Gary?
    You needed to be there...
    Ask Pascal when on the course
    ;-)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Wow

Korrie Thanks for organising these experts over.

There were a lot of tips and tricks and lots of detail
    I stood amazed at the control and handling of a dry fly drifting for meters drag free on a drift.
    Nice trick Pascal have on his connection between fly line and leader
    How Pascal implements his knots on his leader was special.

The best is that they are not shy to share all their secrets and knowledge and of coarse as everyone know who were there what their secret winning flies are

Jannie

I showed Pascal his "leader formulas" as per Karel's book.
    He did not recognised his "own leader formulas"

So much for us, who were fishing "Pascal's leaders"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

The past two days have been the most informative I have ever had since starting fly fishing almost 30 years back. There is still more to come tomorrow....

I will post a cool story how Pascal caught a Smalblaar rainbow, in very difficult conditions (with 30 spectators on the bank), amazing, mind blowing, with a "Plouffe" cast!

7. Default

Pascal fished the section of the Smalblaar above the hotel, just before it steps up to the flatter section. Fishing the lower "pockety" section he covered all the possible fish holding water with precision, getting drag free drifts. All casts are made with some sort of reach mend creating a curve in the leader, presenting only the tippet and the fly first to the fish.

There was a fish rising in the section where water is extracted for the fish farm. It was hot, the water flat, low and clear, 1pm in the afternoon. The fish didn't come up to a parachute dry, he then changed to a smaller CDC pattern. The fish spooked and went up river.Pascal said the fish will return, which it did, after about three or so minutes. In this time he changed to a small nymph and 7.5X tippet,presenting the nymph with a "Plouffe" cast, the nymph sinks free to the required depth. Just watching the fish's posture, Pascal set the hook and landed the fish, very impressive.

He also fished the Elandspad with Albe, broke a fish off on a dry, the fish also came back to its position and then he caught it on a nymph.

These guys put a lot of thought into their fishing, spend time on the water and refining presentation techniques.

Thank you Korrie for bringing these guys to SA.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345