Thread: GT 5/6 on a 9 weight rod

Default GT 5/6 on a 9 weight rod

I can get 200m of 20lb backing on this reel and its got a really smooth drag, is there any reason not to use it on my next 9 weight setup?

I will be getting an Xplorer Guide II 9WT soon and I could not turn down this reel at the price. Its the smaller of the Stealth GT reels.

Am I smoking my socks?
    I'll be going to Kariba and Moz in the next 4 months and it will get a fair bit of use.

I am now thinking of getting a cheapy 6/7 (Classic II) with lifetime warranty and a few good 7 weight lines to work with this reel as a wave garrick slayer and yellowfish fighting machine.

So then the next question is...
    Is the Explorer T50 9# rod as good as the TFO Axiom ? What will go better with a SL6?

Dont know much about the T50 but John (corefly) has fished with it so could maybe help out with an opinion.

The TFO Axiom is a rocket but is very very heavy. The BVK is 42% lighter than the Axiom... .I have the TFO BVK paired with a SL5 for my #7 set up and that works great.

Here's some food for thought - http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8we...te.sagexi3.asp

To only be beaten by the G Loomis NRX is no small feat....

Bryan Williams

My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!

Check out my albums

I think your calculations might be a bit off there, a GT 5/6 with 200m of 20lb and what line ? Just remember your higher weight lines have a significantly larger diameter than the lighter weight lines so usually that would mean the reel is rated 200m of 20lb (again diameter dependant) with a "typical" 5/6WT WF taper, if you put a larger diameter 9WT WF line on it, you will have to take some of the backing off otherwise it won't all fit and you will end up damaging your line.

The GT's are ok, I have a 10/12 and an SL7 ... if money is not a concern, rather get the Shilton, bearing in mind that the Shilton does not have the same level of drag the GT does (some argue in favour of that, others argue against that and I prefer the heavier drag on the GT, when fishing for kingies where you simply can't afford to let the fish run and you have to give it horns from the get go, again this mostly applies to fishing the surf from the ZA coastline) but in my mind overall, the Shilton is the better reel ito build quality and design (At double the price of the GT, this is no big shocker)

I wouldn't be too worried about going for a cheapy reel, for fishing Vidal/Elephant Coast/KZN and even EC estuaries (Kob/Leeries/etc) you don't really need a quality reel for the average fish you're going to run into (I mean honestly, how many times do you run into a Pompano that actually takes line on you with 20lb on the front? Same appleis for 1-2kg Kingies) even +5KG Leeries play nicely (ito a relatively clean fight) so an average reel with an average drag and enough backing will do fine.

My opinion on the Explorer v TFO ... Exploder will never be on par with TFO, period, the TFO's are brilliant casting AND lifting rods and even the Sages for that particular purpose can't compare to them even if they were the same price as the TFO. Again, if money is no concern, then get the GLoomis there simply is nothing on the market that can match them, they are rough and tumble and designed for hard work in tough conditions. The Sages have a slightly better warranty situation which might motivate you in that direction, but unless you're into extreme fishing for bruisers in crazy conditions and you are worried about the money you spend on insurance claims, then I don't think this will be your primary motivator.

Unfortunately I've not had opportunity to work with the TFO BVK, but insofar as the TiCr-X and the Axiom goes, basically the same rod, negligible differences in weight/casting performance/lifting power/etc (though some tests say the Axiom casts better whereas others say the TiCr-X lifts better, I have both in 10WT setups and I simply can't tell the difference, except for a slightly better design on the grip on the Axiom (hard rubber/cork combo at the heavy casting pressure points, think thumb position) and an overall better looking rod with better looking trim, but that is purely cosmetics.

HTH, YMMV.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

Thanks guys,
    Like I said I am going to go 6/7 weight rod for this reel and then get a Shilton SL6 and a 9# a little later.
    The 7 will let me fish at the vaal as well as for pompano. I am getting a few lines and this wind on thing to store the lines (spare spools for the GT cost way more than the reel did)
    I'll also use it for streamer fishing in bigger stillwaters. I was shocked to see Mrs Simpsons tied on no 2 hooks in the midlands shops, big troot there.

You are correct, I tried a 9# sinking line and 200m and its fine, I think a WF9F floater will be just too much.

I am only talking about the T50 Explorer as it feels like a whole new class of rod, nothing like the Guide and Classic.

Scythe, another question as you own a GT reel.
    Can you swap the click mechanism around? I have not taken a long look at it yet but see the click is on the retrieve and not the drag/run.

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    Can you swap the click mechanism around?
    Don't think so, it's that way by design, the reason it doesn't click on the drag is because those four clickers/teeth are what locks into place to engage the cork disk. The Shilton works the same way.

But I'm no expert, you should mail Stealth and find out.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlie" - Ago 2014.

I have cast the axiom but with a shooting head,and let me say a match made in heaven.
    The t50 however is very very nice,especially taking the price/packaging and warranty into account.
    I have also cast the t50 with a 9wt and 10wt line.The 9wt line works the absolute best for distance and holding a lot of line in the air.
    The 10wt line does slow it down quite a bit but increases accuracy due to the slightly slower smoother casting action.
    It all depends on what you wanna do.I cast from 7am to 5pm,virtually non stop with the t50 and i hardly feel wrist stiffness or fatigue,where as with say my predator a half a day is enough.
    The axiom and ticr are great rods for casting very heavy lines and flies and excel in this department.
    If money was no object though the hardy pro axis would be in my arsenal today