Thread: 3wt rods

Default 3wt rods

hi guys,

I am looking to buy myself a new 3wt.. I have been reading some of the other threads and I see guys use different length rods from 7' through to 10'

I currently own a 8' 3wt but am looking to upgrade... what would be the Ideal length for river trout( bigger streams) I do enjoy czech nymphing as well as all the other methods and therefore would like to get something that could manage the lot.. I've had a look at the stealth Infinity 3wt 10' but im unsure.. is it too long ? would 9' or 8'6 maybe be a better length to go with ? I understand that you want a longer rod for czech nymphing and that a shorter rod is more accurate.. I guess I need some help ha !

nic

Ive got a sage 3wt 8'6 ZXL and its a great combo...not too short and not too long..great for nymphing too

Just remember that increased length requires more casting skill for a high level of accuracy. Its just something to be weary of if you are planning to use it for applications that require tight casts - you will need to be a good caster to get the best out of it. For nymphing that is not that applicable, but for dry fly work a 10 or 11ft may not be the best idea especially for a beginner (not saying you ar one, just saying in case you or anyone else reading this possibly is).
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I know Tom Sutcliffe uses the 3wt 8'6 sage as his main stream rod...hes pretty knowledgeable & talented

thanks for the response guys, I have read Tom Sutcliffe's books and he does know a lot about small stream fishing !
    thanks for the useful info Gkieser !

nic

stealth infinity 8' 3wt just arrived ! gonna give it a go this weekend ! some small yellows and maybe some large scale on sunday !