Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Fly Fishing Kayak

hmmm, i'm in two minds about this. Legitimate access to these areas would be great, but not to sure about an initiative by "subsistence fishermen" ... sounds like the hook and cook brigade looking for a free-for-all, which will be to the detriment of the harbour a fishery. I personally hope the authorities oppose this.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Default Sad news indeed

:frown:Personally I can't say that I am very happy with this turn of events. Having these so called subsistence fisherman flocking down to the bay in their thousand will be absolutely disastrous. The Bay has seen some good fishing the last couple of years, simply due to the absence of these “Rapers of the seas”

The Bay area serves as a nursery for a multitude of species and opening the banks to the thousands will have disastrous consequences to those fish species and the system as a whole. Some of my concerns with these so called subsistence fisherman:
    it means that everything caught gets kept – if it can fit into the mincer it be processed into anything edible.
    the amount of additional refuse discarded by them into the bay – already litter is a huge issue. I remember what the banks looked like and smelt like before the ban with discarded bait, fishing line, plastic bags, paper, broken booze bottles, etc.

So from my perspective very sad news indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    :frown:Personally I can't say that I am very happy with this turn of events. Having these so called subsistence fisherman flocking down to the bay in their thousand will be absolutely disastrous. The Bay has seen some good fishing the last couple of years, simply due to the absence of these “Rapers of the seas”

The Bay area serves as a nursery for a multitude of species and opening the banks to the thousands will have disastrous consequences to those fish species and the system as a whole. Some of my concerns with these so called subsistence fisherman:
    it means that everything caught gets kept – if it can fit into the mincer it be processed into anything edible.
    the amount of additional refuse discarded by them into the bay – already litter is a huge issue. I remember what the banks looked like and smelt like before the ban with discarded bait, fishing line, plastic bags, paper, broken booze bottles, etc.

So from my perspective very sad news indeed.
    I couldn't agree more.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5