Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Kayak

Default Fly Fishing Kayak

Hi guys,

I've done a search on the forum for information around this question. I did find a few threads but nothing too useful or recent

Essentially I live in Durban and do a lot of fishing in the harbour. I've also paddled a lot in the past including a Dusi, etc. I am therefore very keen to start kayak fishing...but with a fly stick. It would be great for the harbour as well as other estuaries where sharks and crocs may be an issue in a float tube (as well as the large distances to cover). I'd also like to fly fishing some nearby reefs off of it.

Xplorer sells the Freedom Hawk which looks like a great option (http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/). Overseas there is also a kayak called the WaveWalk (http://www.wavewalk.com/) but I'm not sure if this is as good or whether I could even get one into the country. Finally there is a local product called the SUP Fisher (http://www.supfisher.co.za/). Looks interesting but quite a different market.

The final option is fishing of a normal fishing ski. But I can't imagine its comfortable to sit in this position and fly fish? Standing up won't be an option. And I'm not sure I want to dangle my legs over the side for stability.

Does anyone else do this type of fishing? What would you suggest?

Cheers,
    Warren
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

not done any kayak fishing, but was considering it a while ago, lots of options here:

http://www.paddlers.co.za/pages/kayaks-fishing.html

also this looks interesting:

http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/boats/pro-angler-12/
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Great thread as I'm interest in it too!!!

I know a guy who knows a guy who does it in the surf and in our local rivers will make contact with him soon to get his views I've also been told he is a Springbok angler so hopefully he can give some great advice.

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

Tried kayak fly fishing around the Cape, Zanzibar and Moz.... It is ok until the swell and wind start to become an issue, the wind more than swell.
    I still prefer standing up when casting in the sea.
    In Durban harbour or a secluded Kei estuary I can possibly see the potential.

Not sure what a decent kayak costs R7-8k ?
    You could get an Ark or similar on gumtree for that.

M2c
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

I think if you are into rowing then a kayak is a great option.I also looked at the freedom hawk,but after a outing or 2 with a normal kayak i can say paddling is not for me.My ark and trolling motor work great for the fishing i do.

Not being able to stand up when saltwater fishing will be very difficult. Not only when casting but also when fighting fish from a sitting position, dealing with wind, casting heavier rods etc. You need a really strong upper body to do all of this. The Freedomhawk looks like an option. There was also a thread a few days back on this product - http://badfishsup.com/the-badfisher/. Still you need good balance. The other option is to use it and then jump off on low tide on exposed reefs, sandbanks etc.

Thanks for all the information so far guys. Some nice other options there, but most of them still look more geared towards standard fishing. That inflatable SUP does look interesting.

Some of the other "boats" look a little bigger. I'm really hoping for something I can manage myself, load onto my roof myself, launch myself, etc.

@The Largie Whisperer: Looking forward to hearing from you mate who does this. Always great to get advice from experienced anglers. Does he fly fishing or do standard type fishing off of the kayak.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

I and a number of my fly fishing colleagues here in the middle east do most of our flyfishing off a kayak. I have caught bream, queens, shad, kings etc. with much success.
    I use the stealth supalite and sit on the hatch. To be honest, it is a great way to flyfish, and you will be surprised just how far you can cast.
    When buying the kayaks that you stand up in, be aware that to paddle them long distances becomes really hard work. With something like the stealth or hobie, you can paddle much further without destroying your arms in the process.

The hobies are nice cos you use your feet to move and this frees up you arms to cast while moving....but they are very pricey.

It depends what you want to use it for exactly, but one nice thing is that if the conditions aren't right, you can still catch fish by trolling lures on conventional or even spinning or jigging.

I am bringing my stealth back with me at the end of the year when I return home, and plan to use it a lot in the harbour and on shongweni, inanda etc. Lets 'hook' up then if you are keen....

Quote Originally Posted by WazzyP View Post
    @The Largie Whisperer: Looking forward to hearing from you mate who does this. Always great to get advice from experienced anglers. Does he fly fishing or do standard type fishing off of the kayak.
    Hi Wazzy,

I think he does both will find out got the info from his mate. I also remember him mentioning all the gadgets he had on - gps & fish finders the works!!

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    I and a number of my fly fishing colleagues here in the middle east do most of our flyfishing off a kayak. I have caught bream, queens, shad, kings etc. with much success.
    I use the stealth supalite and sit on the hatch. To be honest, it is a great way to flyfish, and you will be surprised just how far you can cast.
    When buying the kayaks that you stand up in, be aware that to paddle them long distances becomes really hard work. With something like the stealth or hobie, you can paddle much further without destroying your arms in the process.

The hobies are nice cos you use your feet to move and this frees up you arms to cast while moving....but they are very pricey.

It depends what you want to use it for exactly, but one nice thing is that if the conditions aren't right, you can still catch fish by trolling lures on conventional or even spinning or jigging.

I am bringing my stealth back with me at the end of the year when I return home, and plan to use it a lot in the harbour and on shongweni, inanda etc. Lets 'hook' up then if you are keen....
    I'm definitely keen to 'hook' up for a fish when you're back. Looking forward to it.
    - Warren Prior

"Never a dull moment!"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast