Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The 100cm club

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    I only use graphite grease as in:
    http://www.tiborreel.com/catalog.html?Iit=4&Ict=2
    Thanks! I see loads of guys on offshore forums are using Cal's universal reel lube on Abel and Tibor Drags. They recon far less need for constant maintenance. My reels always seem to get wet / abels get jittery and I hate wasting good beer drinking time fiddling with reels ...I guess I will stick to Neats foot oil for now on my backups, but would like some of the cal's grease...
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Bruce I use the graphite lube. Youre running out of time to get it over here though. Have you tried the Penn Precision Reel Grease? Looks pretty similar. I dont put grease on the drag surface though. Keep that pretty clean.
    Hells bells 4 days and counting :-)
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

3. Default

SO glad my click-and-pawl never gives me this much hassle
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Neither do the fish that you catch on that very same click & pawl compared to the bigguns...

Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Hi Mario...

There is nothing wrong with the click-and-pawl. It provides brilliant entertainment when the reel explodes and click-no-longer-knows-pawl . Witnessed this a few times. On the one occassion, with all credit to the angler, he managed to land a 77cm FL springer (netted and measured by me) while fishing at Royal Zulu in Durban Harbour.

Ciao
    Sudesh

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPowrie View Post
    Neither do the fish that you catch on that very same click & pawl compared to the bigguns...

Come join me in Rhodes and we can discuss that on the water
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

the thought of fishing for a gt without a lockable drag gives me the heebie jeebies thats a quick way to break fingers and lose fish. I lock the drag and then hold the spool so that cant even turn. That said Ive had one manage to override that locked drag and hand technique, creating some minced knuckles and smoke in the process.

You ever hear about Lefty Kreh chasing Black Bass in New Guinea? He reckons the strongest fish on earth pound for pound. He would hook one, and then quickly wrap his stripping line around the reel seat while the boat captain goes into full reverse. Sci anglers would love that
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Thanks! I see loads of guys on offshore forums are using Cal's universal reel lube on Abel and Tibor Drags. They recon far less need for constant maintenance. My reels always seem to get wet / abels get jittery and I hate wasting good beer drinking time fiddling with reels ...I guess I will stick to Neats foot oil for now on my backups, but would like some of the cal's grease...
    Hey Bruce, theres a guy in Durbs who supplies Cal's locally, his names George drop him an email: georgedbn@gmail.com for a pricelist. I've ordered plenty from him before, very prompt and helpful.
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    these reels should really have some sort of thrust bearings to take an axial load. They use normal bearings that have strength in the vertical plane but are weak in the horizontal. The problem is a thrust bearing works more like a bushing in two planes....
    Thrust bearing:
    http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...5x10x4-sst510g
    this is whats in the tibor drag. You can imagine how weak it is with the side load from the drag.
    http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-...-pair-bearings
    The ceramics are well over a 100usd. Sexy as hell, but shew thats an expensive trial.
    Check this out. Will try to get some for my Gulfstream to test:

http://www.vesconite.com/charts/spec...Specifications

ishot-210.jpg

Getting ready for the GT assault. Some replacement drag plates for the Gulfstream and Riptide. @Arno theyve changed the bearing design... about bloody time.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678