Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trout in the Vaal (below Barrage)

Default Trout in the Vaal (below Barrage)

I was chatting to an older gentleman bait fishing and camping at Eendekuil over December/January (some of you may have seen him and his wife there). Long story short he basically said that they used to catch some trout in that area on spinning tackle (years ago of course). I'm pretty sure he really had trout in mind as all the other angling species of the Vaal were mentioned at some point in our conversation, and I double checked with him and he confirmed.

At first I silently laughed off the idea, thinking that either the gentleman does not know what he is talking about, or that he wants to impress me somehow. But then I remembered that I read somewhere that the Klipriver used to be stocked with trout, so it's not entirely impossible I guess.

My question is just if someone can confirm this, whether there used to be trout in the Vaal at some point, and if so if you would have been able to find them as far down as below the Barrage?

FlyFanatic Banned User

Hi Ben,

You are correct that they definitely stocked the Klip river with trout many years back, when it was still prestine..

I will have a look tonight in a book which i think is from trevor babbich, think it is freshwater fishing in sa, there he mentions that trout are found in the klipriver system.

From there well it could be plausible that they ended up in the vaal and adapted.

Jaco

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    From there well it could be plausible that they ended up in the vaal and adapted.
    Highly unlikely with the mean temperature of the Vaal in summer, even if they did manage to make it all the way to the Vaal, highly unlikely (nay : impossible) that they would be able to survive even a single summer. In the Klip maybe, at a long shot, providing the troot could find water cold enough to sustain it, just remember that even though a river may be stocked, doesn't mean the troot take and settle, some streams in Mpumalanga have to be restocked annually.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

4. Default

What would the mean temp be in the Vaal? Ou fish in Rhodes are "happy" in water temps of 20°C or sometimes even more in harshers times. Sustained temps of those numbers would probably do some damage, but our trout have adapted fairly well to high summer temps.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Well in usually in summer depending on 'where' ofcourse and other contributing factors like water clarity (which is bad in summer) it goes up to like 26 deg C and I've even had days where I measured 29 deg C, but in a hot summer ... it can get VERY hot.

Gerhard from Rivendell once told me that he (running his hatchery on the Spekboom) starts klapping panick when it his 20 deg C, as they have to stop feeding the troot, due to the higher oxygen requirements and internal thermal processes fired up (pardon the pun) by digestion.

It's a fact that when you digest food your body temp increases and ofcourse the oxygen requirement is also higher.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Blog Entries

29 Deg in the Vaal - Sho that is seriously hot. Two weeks ago in the middle of the "Heatwave" we measured the air temperature at 37 Degrees just before 13:00 - the river water temp was 23 Degrees and the flows 24 cum/s. What will cause the additional 6 degrees to get the water temp up to 29? Flows? Lower Flow higher temp? It does not get a hell of a lot lower than 24/cums - I dont think there would be a 6 degrees difference between 24 cum/s and say 18 cum/s?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Gerhard from Rivendell once told me that he (running his hatchery on the Spekboom) starts klapping panick when it his 20 deg C, as they have to stop feeding the troot, due to the higher oxygen requirements and internal thermal processes fired up (pardon the pun) by digestion.
    Aaaaah, there is your problem
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Aaaaah, there is your problem
    Agreed! ;-) The wild trout in the Cape (and I am sure other parts of SA) have adapted over the last hundred years or so to handle warmer temperatures. I have found small fish on the Smalblaar still feeding in water temps of 27C measured with an accurate thermometer. In a large river like the Vaal you would have wide variances in temp, especially in some of the deeper pools. While they might survive the high temps, I am not to sure about the pollution.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Agreed! ;-) The wild trout in the Cape (and I am sure other parts of SA) have adapted over the last hundred years or so to handle warmer temperatures. I have found small fish on the Smalblaar still feeding in water temps of 27C measured with an accurate thermometer. In a large river like the Vaal you would have wide variances in temp, especially in some of the deeper pools. While they might survive the high temps, I am not to sure about the pollution.
    Gij's & I each caught a trout on DRY fly this past Dec on EP1, just above SB6 junction - water temp 27.1degrees.
    (We fished SB6, but on the walk out decided that it would be intersting to see if fish would feed, based on the temp.)
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

But would you find wild, self sustaining trout in the Vaal? Doubt it. Any trout there would most surely have been a stockie, and as has been pointed out, stockies don't necessarily spawn successfully in some rivers.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast