Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G.Loomis rip-off

I dropped of my rod at the fly shop on Tuesday as The Rapala guys wanted them to verify the correctness of my claims that the rod was still new and unused.

How can you fault that? Dealing with a bunch of dishonest, lying fly fisherman must be part of the way they see their customers. Seeing that it is Friday now I don't expect any more feedback than their initial R3000 offer. In any case what's another week?

Think I will put some masking tape over my other Loomis rod labels if I decide to fish the weekend:: or maybe make a radical Buddist statement and set them all on fire on UTube?

Blog Entries

I suppose this what happens when smaller businesses are bought by the big players. May the Scotts and the Sages of this world remain independent.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    I dropped of my rod at the fly shop on Tuesday as The Rapala guys wanted them to verify the correctness of my claims that the rod was still new and unused.

How can you fault that? Dealing with a bunch of dishonest, lying fly fisherman must be part of the way they see their customers. Seeing that it is Friday now I don't expect any more feedback than their initial R3000 offer. In any case what's another week?

Think I will put some masking tape over my other Loomis rod labels if I decide to fish the weekend:: or maybe make a radical Buddist statement and set them all on fire on UTube?

Picked-up my rod again yesterday. The final offer from Shimano Rapala was R2300 additional cost for the up-grade - take it or leave it. Needless to say, I have decided to leave it and not to support any of their products in future again as a consumer, little as that may mean.

One good thing this has done is cure me of my G.`Loomis obsession!

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Picked-up my rod again yesterday. The final offer from Shimano Rapala was R2300 additional cost for the up-grade - take it or leave it. Needless to say, I have decided to leave it and not to support any of their products in future again as a consumer, little as that may mean.

One good thing this has done is cure me of my G.`Loomis obsession!
    Just curious.
    What is the SA *retail* price difference between the 12wt GLX Crosscurrent and the 12wt NRX?

As you pointed out, *retail* price diff in USA = $120 is approximately R1080.

I am not saying that SA retail price is fair, only that if the R2,300 you are being asked to pay SA *retail* NRX price LESS SA *retail* GLX CC price, then they are hardly being unfair, else they would effectively be selling you the NRX at a discounted price (in SA retail terms) if they made you pay less than the differential.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    Just curious.
    What is the SA *retail* price difference between the 12wt GLX Crosscurrent and the 12wt NRX?
    As you pointed out, *retail* price diff in USA = $120 is approximately R1080.
    I am not saying that SA retail price is fair, only that if the R2,300 you are being asked to pay SA *retail* NRX price LESS SA *retail* GLX CC price, then they are hardly being unfair, else they would effectively be selling you the NRX at a discounted price (in SA retail terms) if they made you pay less than the differential.
    It is actually quite simple, let me explain. The MSRP for GLX is $780 and for the NRX it is $900 - used to be clearely stickered on the label. AS the deal is being brokered by a flyshop that indicated that they will not made anything from the deal, it stand to reason that we can freely talk of *trade* price as it will only affect Loomis. The reason that I harped on the *retail* vs trade issue is because I know from past experience where we imported G.Loomis blanks, we received up to 50% discount. So the assumption is that on *trade* the diffs would be $60 or R540. Only assumtion here, but I am pretty sure close enough. So to charge someone 4x that for an upgrade is crazy when it is clear that it would cost you double that in the US to upgrade. Looking at Rapala's size here they probably pay less for their stock than the average US dealer, even with distribution costs.

I also remember when dealing with them before the Shimano days and having a bit of an arm wrestle everytime I got broken rods replaced - which also came at a cost of course. But this was mostly due to the help of one guy -and I forget his name, he used to be a very good bass andgler and emmigrated to OZ I think.
    Reality is that they don't really care to sort our small issues like this with their customers and it is pretty useless for me to carry on moaning about it.

But it still makes them superb rip-off artist in my book.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123