Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermanus Report Back

1. Default Hermanus Report Back

Hi Guys,

Herewith a quick report on the Hermanus Lagoon. After I have heard some good reports filtering through I decided to visit the lagoon last Friday morning. Quite often these reports are not passed on due to some dedicated fly fishers not wanting all to descend in numbers on a specific venue, these guys do the legwork and I can fully understand this.

However, saltwater fly rodders in the Cape are a dying breed, so if you go look after what we have here in the Cape. I believe the more dedicated anglers we have at a specific spot the more people will take ownership and look after the resource and obviously buy more tackle,just an added bonus . Please return all Leerfish unharmed. If you want to take a pic., the fish shouldn't be out of the water for more than 15 sec.

Arriving just after 6 (The Prawnflats parking is 90 km from Somerset West), Louis Pretorius offered me a boat ride, crossing the lagoon and dropping me off on the opposite shore at number 3 on the map. It is possible to wade across but you will need to swim for about 10 meters. From here I walked to Elf point.

Lots of baitfish/fishfood

I walked over to Elf point where I hooked a fish after 10 minutes on an Olive Clouser, the fish fell off. Then I moved over to number 2 where I caught 1 fish and dropped another. Also some fish boiling behind the fly.

Olive Clouser

Will post more later..

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

2. Default

Then I decided to go and explore closer to the mouth, walking in the direction of number 3, walking close to the edge of the weed line the water is around 1.2 meters deep here, getting shallower the closer you get to 3. At one stage I got stuck in very soft mud and though I was going to stay there for the remainder of my life on earth Luckily I got out, out of breath and relieved I could proceed towards the mouth.

Towards Elf point

Towards the mouth (now closed) the water is for most part quite shallow, I could cross at number 4 after attempting a crossing at 3

Then I moved around to number 5, here the action was instant and quickly I landed 2 fish with some fish taking short and following. The fly that proved to produce better results here was a white woolhead mullet, an old favourite. Johan, a friend fished there this past Sunday and landed 8 Leeries and one nice Elf. Apart from this a 84cm, 90 cm and another 85cm fish were landed on fly recently.

Woolheadius Capensis

These fish pull for their size, please ensure hooks are debarbed.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

nice! Flies look good. See any grunter ?
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    No Grunter in Hermanus except very rarely when the sea is abnormally warm and the mouth is open at the same time. I have heard of them there once only and only from one person and I have never seen one caught. Its a bit too far South.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Hi Pete,

I have heard of one report of grunters moving this far south, usually Cape Agulhas is the "cut off" point. De Mond Being the "last" estuary from the Cape Town side.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Hi,
    Went for an outing recently - started 12h00. Initially slow. Caught 1 small 38 cm leerie on flipper at site 1, later the afternoon started getting more action. Caught one of 43 and one of 48 on self tied pole dancer fly at site 2 and one of 51 cm at site 3 on same fly. Unfortunately I did not try site 5. Did see some huge chases against the northern bank though, with the one fish cruising with part of its back sticking out. BIG!!! fish. Regards
    Niel Malan

we had some action a while ago, there is some bigger fish around but big for a reason.
    a fun day all in all. a short clip i made
    cheers.

Loving ur work....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Like! Like!
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

thanks guys!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast