Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hermanus Report Back

Awesome info, thanks!

I'm starting flyfishing and will be trying the lagoon in the next week. Any specific tips for winter?

2. Default

Hi Guys,

Fished Hermanus this past Saturday with Mark Krige and Johan Knoetze. Firstly, the lagoon's water quality is not great at the moment, made worse by some rotting bamboo in the lagoon. The water up from the Prawnflats (inland) is also quite discolered with much clearer, but shallower water towards the mouth (closed now). We picked up 4 elf/shad (small) up from the Prawnflats where the clearer water meet the murkier water. There is a wooden pole in the water here on the town side (red rope around it), approx 100m from where the Prawnflats channel meets the main channel.

I expect it to be good in low light conditions in the clearer water. Had one follow by a good size Leerie on a popper. I had success with a Black over white Clouser with some Hedron Silver Holographic flash. A fly that had produced very well for me in the Strand as well. Heading to the Strand tonight, will report back.

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

Hi Philip,

We go to Hermanus quite a lot during the year, can I ask what tackle would you advise, do you need a 9Wt or would something like a 6/7 Wt work?

Thanks
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

4. Default

Hi Ulrich,

You can get away with a 6/7 when conditions are good in terms of wind and you are fishing smaller/lighter flies. Personally, I would advise a 8 and up, casting bigger flies if you want to and dealing with wind.

Thanks,

Can you maybe give an idea of the ratio of fly size to line when it comes to salt, I assume "small"in salt terms refer to hook sizes between 8 & 2/1??

Would an 8Wt be fine for a place like Witsand/Breede and the Strand also?

6. Default

Hi Ulrich,

Not necessarily the hook size, but the physical size of the fly, its weight and resistance, also if the fly sheds water quickly when being cast. You can cast a 2/0 (Gama SL12S, Owner Aki or Gama B10S) fly on a 7 weight. If you start adding dumbell eyes you will struggle or casting a bigger popper.

It also depends if you can create line speed and momentum. The heavier line weights (8-10) are physically heavier, if there is line speed/momentum, the line can deliver the heavier/more resistant fly further. With thee line being heavier, you can deal better with wind if there is the necessary speed/momentum.

A 4mm dumbell, or maybe even a 5mm is OK with an 8 weight. 6mm and up I will rather look at a 9 or 10 weight. I prefer fishing heavier and don't see any sense in fighting a decent fish on light tackle.

A 8 is fine for the Strand and Breede, I prefer a 9 or 10.

Thanks for all the great information, much appreciated.

From your comments it seems the 9/10Wt is the more versatile way to go if you plan to only own one SW Fly Rod.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12