Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kosi Bay

Default Kosi Bay

Hi all
    I am wanting to plan a trip to Kosi Bay late next Jan and early feb. Going to be on quite a budget so it will be all camping or sleeping in the back of a bakkie. A few questions:

1. Does anyone know a good place to camp in that area preferably close to some water.
    2. Is it safe in terms of violent crime
    3. Is it worth going or is it over rated

I am not planning on targetting GTs on fly just all the other things on 9wts and maybe 7wts.

Any advice or stories will be greatly appreciated. If you don't want to post on the thread please PM me.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Blog Entries

Why wouldn't you target GTs?

Because it means buying a 12wt and a really expensive reel and line and then spending hours casting into the surf with only a very small chance of hooking one and then an even smaller chance of landing it. I guess if there are some in the lakes those would interest me. My main point is that I would rather catch a whole lot of different species than a single GT. I am still quite new to the salt and so far have only really fished for leeries and so I would first like to target GTs on fly where I am likely to catch one. When I want a challenge I still always find a freshwater one. One day when I have some experience I'll try for a GT from the surf.

My main interests there for fly are wave garrick, as many different species of kingfish as I can catch and hopefully estuary things like oxeye tarpon and pickhandle baracuda. I don't know much about the place but I am assuming that there are reasonable numbers of all of those there?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Blog Entries

Then don't use anything heavier than a 7wt. A 9 will over power most of what you're chasing very quickly and leave you feeling a little let down. Im sure the Kosi locals will be able to help you out. Enjoy.

I cant offer much advise but you surely cant go up there without a heavy setup...imagine you catching wave garrick and the next minute you see a big kingy in the shore break and you got nothing to cast at it with....I would beg borrow and steal to make sure i have a kit to use up there...I have a 12w rod you can borrow for the trip...so there is a start...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Agent Smith is on the money!!!
    Many okes spend thousands of bokkies and countless hours on that piece of coastline and get nothing.
    With the help of Murph, you will prolly see and or be able to cast at some of the biggest Geet's ever seen.

Go prepared!
    Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

From what I have heard GTs are not kind to tackle. This is why i am nervous about borrowing from someone. I know you guys are right though in a way. For me if i hook a wave garrick which gets taken by a GT then that is fine with me and it wont haunt me. I would rather have fun getting a fight from lots of wave garrick and small kingies on light tackle than have no fun with them on heavy tackle and probably not get a big GT. I got my Torium 30 for them. I dont only fly fish. Thanks for the offer of the 12wt though.
    Last edited by dtayl13; 25-02-13 at 08:22 PM.

Daivd... leave the padda vissies alone! Target some propper fish
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Wave Garrick and blacktip kingies and brassy kingies and pickhandle baracuda and oxeye tarpon are not paddavissies to me.

Bangha Nek has a number of campsites, one of which is almost on the beach. There are canvas tents on platforms, a little tattered and not very secure but affordable. Take own drinking water. Plenty kingies in the little bay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast