Thread: Has anyone fished Dunkeld in Dullies?

Default Has anyone fished Dunkeld in Dullies?

Hey Guys

I am off to Dunkeld in dullstroom this weekend and
    just wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on what
    flies i should try?

Also going to Dullies this weekend... chatted to Murray from Fly-Fishers yesterday and he says water has been slightly cooler this summer, however depending on dam size and inlets running etc, water temps will vary. I'd focus mianly on any inlets and deep (3-5m) water... During morning sesh fish buggers, dragons in olive... as it heats up fish blood worm and grhe of a loooong leader and floating line, OR fish deeeeep and sloooooow with a big fly.... 10am - 4pm will probably be very quiet... from 4pm same as morning, and im sure there will be a hatch around 6/7ish which you can try a tiny white death or dry....

Depending on stocking policies, the smaller 'ponds' will heat up quickest so be hardest UNLESS they have been recently stocked.... I always try fish a decent sized dam at inlet or wall at this time of year... DOn't expect too much and you might be surprised
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

I've fished Dunkeld quite a few times and i find it quite easy . The dam are quite weird there , often having big buzzer hatches and the fish rising pretty much all day . the fish aren't very big . From around 300g up with the odd big fish coming out . I fish mostly dry in those dams because the fish are so willing to come up ! the dams are quite shallow so your faster sinking lines are not needed . I fish a fast glass intermidiate as my sinking line because they are so shallow .

When ever i fish dullies i have a few blobs in my box , it is a stocky bashing area after all . I also have quite a large range of epoxy buzzers i fish (black with yellow gills or black with orange gills) and the flies James mentioned . Cdc and elk , rabs , adams and foam hoppers should cover you completely .

I fished there a few weeks ago and took a few on buzzers and dries . I would go heavier than 4x but its just personal preference . they will eat a fly with 15lb maxima sometimes!

The fishing should be decent because of the colder weather dullies has had over the past few weeks so hopefully the fish play along for you !

Thanks very much guys for the help and advice
    i think i will be try out quit a few flies till i find
    one that works, but aleast you guys have narrowed
    down my options.

I have fished dunkeld on many occasions. Give the C&R dams a go , some decent sized fish to catch. Remember approach with stealth , take a few min to read the water. Find the fish !!! Drys with small buzzers (cdc) work wonders another tactic i use when things go slow .. fish floating line with short leader and with a single big fly attached , add a split shot bout 10cm frm fly cast close to likely holding spot wait till fly sinks to bottom -watch your leader closely as they sometimes take on the drop any unnatural movement and strip strike- SLOWLY (2cm pulls) retrieve fly back as the fly gets close enuff to water surface gently lift ur rod ...... i have had the most ravishing takes with this method and caught on dark days the biggest trout.
    One more thing - when the fishing gets Slow - Slow down your retrieve even more!