Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardy Zenith or Sage One?

Default Hardy Zenith or Sage One?

Time for a new 5wt rod for me.Got it down to the Hardy Zenith 9ft 5wt 4pc or the Sage One in the same config.
    The net is full of reviews between these rods,but clearly no winner.Yellowstone Angler really rates the Hardy as the best 5wt in the world!
    I live in Durban so no dealer her has both rods to cast.
    Any opinions and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Tight lines!

Well the suppliers for Hardy are in Durban ,Ajf agencies so if you really want to cast one try organize with them.That said i think The Kingfisher had in stock when i was last there.

I cant comment on either as i have not cast them but reviews are always difficult to judge on as each person likes something different.Just from a warranty point I think the sage takes it already,although I doubt Hardy would give a bad warranty on a rod costing more than most.

3. Default

Look at after-sales support - no use buying such an expensive item and having huge amounts of trouble when something goes wrong.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Time for a new 5wt rod for me.Got it down to the Hardy Zenith 9ft 5wt 4pc or the Sage One in the same config.
    The net is full of reviews between these rods,but clearly no winner.Yellowstone Angler really rates the Hardy as the best 5wt in the world!
    I live in Durban so no dealer her has both rods to cast.
    Any opinions and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Tight lines!
    Both are really nice rods. I cast the Zenith up in JHB a while back - awesome rod. Strangely I have not cast a 9ft 5wt ONE yet, but have played with the 3 & 6wts. Bought myself a 10ft 3wt Zenith & am having a 10ft 6wt ONE built, so both ranges are great!
    Last edited by GGY; 04-03-13 at 08:32 AM.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Blog Entries

I have the Sage One 5 weight 9 foot, it is a great rod however I would not say it is for everyone. Think about what application you will be using it for and if you like a fast action rod. I think the difference between the two rods are marginally different and only really good casters would tell the difference. I think if you look at the price tag the Zenith should be more expensive.... As Mario said take the after-sales support into consideration, this can cause a lot of frustration if you end up breaking a rod. My 2c

Someone I know built himself a Sage One in a 5wt for Vaal fishing. It broke on his first outing.
    He had the section replaced and guess what, it broke again, the very same section he had replaced.
    I have a Hardy Demon in a 5wt and I have manhandled this rod on anything from Barbel to Tigerfish and I have never had a problem with it. The Syntrix Zenith is a lovely rod and I wouldn't think twice buying that rod.

The local agent is very helpful and should something happen in terms of a claim, you should be sorted out in no time at all. I have his direct e-mail somewhere.

Havn't had the chance to cast the Hardy, but I'll tell you this much.

The Sage One 5WT is a lovely rod for my intended application, which is long line hopper fishing to Yellows.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

8. Default

Ironically enough I have a friend who posted about a broken Zennith tip last night. Apparently 85GBP to replace the tip! He lives in the UK btw. Tip broke on his 3rd outing, while casting.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Ironically enough I have a friend who posted about a broken Zennith tip last night. Apparently 85GBP to replace the tip! He lives in the UK btw. Tip broke on his 3rd outing, while casting.
    You know what they say, "goedkoop koop is duur koop". Shipping Zennith parts from China can get expensive. He should have bought the original

I have casted both of these rods, so, from personal experience, the Sage One takes a while to get used to, as with its action, you will need to adapt your casting style. The Zenith seems to "collapse" once you line gets longer that 20 meters. So, if I were you, i'd look for something that is worth the amount of money you are wanting to spend.

Just my bit of input,

Cheers!
    Nick
    Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast